From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

‘Wow! Behold how good it is!' ecumenical worshippers are told

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 29 Jun 2000 15:27:57

Note #6061 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

29-June-2000
GA00113

	‘Wow! Behold how good it is!' ecumenical worshippers are told

	by Nancy D. Borst

LONG BEACH, June 28- The Rev. Setri Nyomi, general secretary of the World
Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC), plugged into the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.)'s "unity" issue for the ecumenical worship service of the 212th
General Assembly held Wednesday night. He used a passage from Psalm 133,
"How very good and pleasant it is when kindred live together in unity!" to
remind worshippers that was their goal as Christians.

	Nyomi, who first came from his native Ghana to the United States at age 18,
demonstrated his enthusiasm by using the word, "wow" in his sermon title:
"Wow! Behold how good it is!"  He admitted "wow" was a new concept to him on
arriving in this country, which since has become a "second home" of sorts.

	"Even though I come from a former British colony, I had actually never
heard this word before," he said to scattered laughter. "I was made to
understand that it was mainly a feeling of a wonderful presence of
something, an emphatic call to come and see something that's amazing."

	He told the congregation "wow" was a feeling all Christians should have at
one time or another. He then inserted it in what God said at the end of
creation: "Wow! This is good," which drew more laughter. The congregation
appreciated his inflection and humor throughout the sermon.

	Nyomi, 45, is a pastor in the Evangelical Presbyterian Church in Ghana, a
partner church with the PC(USA). He earned a doctorate from Princeton
Theological Seminary and has worked in this country in hospital ministries
and as a local pastor. Stated Clerk Clifton Kirkpatrick described Nyomi's
role with the WARC as "leader of the world family of Presbyterian and
reformed churches."

Nyomi reminded worshippers that it was Christ who called us to unity. We are
all called to be brothers and sisters in Christ, no matter what our
backgrounds, Nyomi said. However, we often choose to live in "a state
opposite ‘how good it is.' "

"Our baptism meant our divisions should go," he said.  But history is filled
with acts of exclusion, of people of different colors, of women, and of
youth. To live up to the call and celebrate "how good it is" means answering
tough and challenging questions.

"It takes grace to say as a family we may not always agree but we'll keep
talking about these things … until we discern the will of God," Nyomi said.
"Let us allow God to use us to keep this church in good community, brothers
and sisters, together as an example to our nations and to share, ‘Wow!
Behold how good it is!' "

The service, attended by approximately 700 people, included prelude pieces
from the Long Beach Brass Quintet and Percussion Ensemble, and an anthem
from the choir of First Presbyterian Church, Torrance, Calif.

An offering of $6,080.72 was collected. It will go to an HIV/AIDS Control
Project administered by the Presbyterian Church of East Africa in
conjunction with ecumenical mission partner churches and the All Africa
Conference of Churches.