From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

New president addresses seminary's annual gathering

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 29 Jun 2000 15:32:18

Note #6056 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

29-June-2000
GA00109

	New president addresses seminary's annual gathering

	by Sue Boardman

LONG BEACH, June 29 – "I feel like I've just received an invitation to a
fabulous party and I can't wait for it to begin," said Laura Mendenhall when
she spoke to a crowd of students, administrators, and graduates of Columbia
Theological Seminary during the 212th General Assembly of the Presbyterian
Church, (U.S.A.) Mendenhall will assume her duties as president of the
Decatur, Ga. institution in August, just days before the fall term begins.

	Mendenhall has been pastor of the Westminster Church in Austin, Tex. for
nine years and serves as the chairperson of the General Assembly's Permanent
Judicial Commission. "The search committee never had to sell me on
Columbia," she said. "I've known for several years that it was a leader
among our seminaries. But I didn't want to let go of my plan for my
wonderful life." Admitting embarrassment, Mendenhall recalled realizing that
if she was to claim that her life belonged wholly to the God who created
her, she had to be open to the search committee's process.

	Outgoing president, and moderator of the 210th General Assembly, Douglas
Oldenburg reflected that he was "leaving a seminary which is stronger than
ever" to Mendenhall's leadership.

	A smiling and gracious Mendenhall offered the benediction and expressed her
anticipation at "sharing in ministry with the administration, faculty,
students and graduates of Columbia, in partnership with the Holy Spirit."