From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Retired pastor Pat Butler at Assembly for last hurrah

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 29 Jun 2000 21:19:04

Note #6073 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

29-June-2000
GA00124

	Retired pastor Pat Butler at Assembly for last hurrah

by Sue Boardman

LONG BEACH, June 29 – He wandered into the newsroom at the 212th General
Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) with a story to tell. "I come
out of two seminaries," said the Rev. Pat Butler who was born when his
father was a second year student at McCormick Seminary. In 1955, Butler
graduated from what used to be known as Pittsburgh Xenia Seminary, now
Pittsburgh Theological Seminary.

	Butler's long ministry included extended pastorates in several states, a
new church development project and 12 interim pastorates, one of which was
in New Zealand. He has been married for 53 years to Marguerite Butler, a
geriatric nurse practitioner who has served twice as a mission volunteer in
Cairo, Egypt.

	"She was worried about my coming here this year," said Butler. "Sometimes I
get lost in my own backyard but I wanted to be here for one last hurrah and
see all my old friends again. This church has mattered so much to me." A
year and a half ago, Butler was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.