From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Youth Play at 'The Beat'

From News News <news@ELCA.ORG>
Date 30 Jun 2000 10:36:09

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

June 30, 2000

ELCA YOUTH PLAY AT 'THE BEAT'
00-xx-MH*

     ST. LOUIS (ELCA) - Youth from the Evangelical Lutheran Church
in America (ELCA) participated in the interaction center at the 2000
ELCA Youth Gathering -- "The Beat"   a place that features high
adventure games.
     The ELCA Youth Gathering is meeting at the America's Center
June 28-July 2 and July 5 9. The two events bring together some
40,000 Lutheran youth of high school age, who are engaging in
worship, Bible study, learning, community service and fun.
      Young Lutherans crowded the Cervantes Center for activities
that included wall climbing and "zip lines" in which participants
hang on to a handle attached to a cable and slide from one end to the
other.  In addition, sports, an indoor garden, dance and lessons
about swing, samba, rock and country music and drumming make up The
Beat.
     "The 'cooperational' games are good for group building," said
Nate Moehring a volunteer at The Beat and a member of Grace Lutheran
Church, Bandera, Texas.  "Things like the zip lines help the kids
ease their fear of heights and learn about God, too," he said.
     Along with the activities, various ELCA colleges and Lutheran
nonprofit organizations had information booths.
     Among the many exhibits is the ELCA "tent."  During the
gathering, the tent is offering activities about personal identity,
stewardship, vocation, peace and justice and service, said Kristi S.
Bangert, Chicago, coordinator of the ELCA tent, Chicago.  One project
was "Facing the Future as a Child of God" in which participants had
impressions of their faces made in plastic-filled gauze, and "Who
Wants to be a Missionaire" in which participants answered trivia
questions about the world.
     "The point of this tent is to bring together the units of the
ELCA to help young people understand themselves, the church and their
place in the church better," said Bangert.
     Colleges used The Beat as an opportunity to reach out to
college-bound youth as well.  "We want to promote Gettysburg College
as a great institution for all students and to be supportive of the
efforts of the ELCA," said John Corona, assistant dean of admissions,
Gettysburg College, Gettysburg, Pa.
     "Being a college of the ELCA, this is the best place to meet
young Lutherans and introduce them to Dana," said Daurine Petersen,
interim director for admissions, Dana College, Blair, Neb.
     Organizations such as Lutheran Brotherhood, a fraternal
benefits society based in Minneapolis, and Lutheran Immigration and
Refugee Service, a joint ministry of the ELCA, The Lutheran Church-
Missouri Synod and the Latvian Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America, had representatives at The Beat.
     "We believe in young people, and we want to make them aware of
the various volunteer opportunities offered through Lutheran
Brotherhood," said Tami Wendt, project manager, Lutheran Brotherhood.
     Cindy Stadum, program assistant for the LIRS "ambassadors
circle," was there to make the youth aware of the struggles of
immigrants and refugees.  "We want to help raise issues of immigrants
and refugees among youth and to encourage them to be advocates for
these people," she said.
     Youth at The Beat seemed to enjoy it.  "I like the activities
and social aspect of it," said Markus Bentsen, a member of St.
Matthew Lutheran Church, Columbus, Ga.  "It's great to meet so many
other Lutherans because in Georgia we can feel isolated."
     "It's pretty cool," said Jennifer Albert, a member of Christ
Community Church, Columbia, Ill.  "No matter what your interests are,
there's something to do," she said.

[*Michael Hoffman will be a senior at the University of Kansas.  This
summer he is an intern with ELCA News and Information.]

For information contact: