From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Commissioners act to prohibit demonstrations during plenary sessions

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 30 Jun 2000 12:17:02

Note #6086 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

30-June-2000
GA00135

	Commissioners act to prohibit demonstrations during plenary sessions

	Call for study of the roll of Youth Advisory Delegates

	by John Filiatreau

LONG BEACH, June 30 - The Assembly voted Thursday night to prohibit
"spontaneous or planned" demonstrations in the building where it meets or
within 25 feet of entrances to the building.

	The action, taken on the recommendation of the Committee on General
Assembly Procedures, won approval in a 369-149 vote. It provides that, if
participants in such a demonstration "fail to immediately disband and
desist" upon being declared "out of order," the moderator may recess the
Assembly "to a fixed time and place."

	The new rule, proposed in Overture 28 from the Presbytery of San Joaquin,
goes on to say: "This rule does not prohibit the spontaneous or planned
celebration of an action of the General Assembly or of any event in the life
of the church."

	The commissioners also voted during the marathon session to approve an
overture from the Presbytery of Great Rivers that was pulled from the
consent agenda. It calls for a study of "the ways in which Youth Advisory
Delegates (YADs) participate in committees and plenary sessions of
Assemblies, in order to bring about a more proportionate and appropriate
participation of YADs relative to participation by elected commissioners."
It passed by a vote of 397-115.
	The Assembly also passed a measure providing that nominations for service
on  Assembly committees, councils and boards may come from any member of the
General Assembly Nominating Committee, who "may propose a nominee from any
synod." The past practice required members of the nominating committee to
nominate people from their own synods. The change, suggested by the
Presbytery of Greater Atlanta, is intended to force the committee to "open
its process." It specifies that the committee, "as part of its selection
criteria shall continue to access knowledge of and participation in the
presbytery or synod to be represented. The vote was 465- 48.

	Bobbi Hargleroad of the Chicago Presbytery, a member of the procedures
committee, spoke in opposition to the measure on Assemably demonstrations.
"There are times ... when we need to acknowledge that we are not one," she
said. She added that parties who are "wounded" by a GA action should have
the opportunity to "express pain as a body that is injured in part."

	Similarly, Bruce Bender of the Philadelphia Presbytery objected that the
measure would "abridge" a commissioner's "right to speak to the Assembly."
Madelyn Jervis of the Presbytery of the National Capital, urged the Assembly
not "to 'purify' our meeting so much that we no longer hear the dissidents
among us." A supporter of the overture said, "It is the intent of the
committee that we not have demonstrations in here."

	The measure merely formalizes a process that General Assemblies have
employed in the recent past.

	A number of Youth Advisory Delegates objected to the measure calling for a
study of YADs' participation in Assemblies, considering it a measure
intended to limit or reduce their involvement in GA processes.

	Ian Filson, a YAD from the Monmouth (N.J.) Presbytery, charged that the
measure violates "the Presbyterian way, to be fair and to include all." He
added that the contemplated study would almost certainly "prove to be
inconclusive."

	Jim Hazelett of the Redwoods Presbytery, a member of the committee said
there was "no suggestion at all" during its hearings "to exclude YADs." He
said proponents of the measure are "not against our young people," but
realize that the church needs young Presbyterians to "help us at this point
in our church life." Another committee member, David Peterbaugh of the
Cascades Presbytery, said the committee intended "to make the YAD
contributions a more valuable one."