From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Parents of bonfire victim uproot lives to serve students

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 30 Jun 2000 12:35:54

June 29, 2000  News media contact: Tim Tanton·(615)742-5470·Nashville, Tenn.
10-71B{307}

A UMNS News Feature
By Chrissy Gourneau*

Seven months after their son's death in the Texas A&M bonfire accident, Tim
and Janice Kerlee have picked up their lives and moved to College Station,
where they plan on spending their retirement ministering to students at the
young man's school.

Their son, Tim Kerlee Jr., a 17-year-old freshman, was one of 12 students
who died as a result of injuries from the school's bonfire accident on Nov.
18. The students were building the traditional bonfire for Texas A&M
University's homecoming game celebration when the stack of logs collapsed.

The Kerlees were with their son on the night of his death, Nov. 19, at St.
Joseph Regional Health Center near College Station. That experience led to
their decision to leave their home in Bartlett, Tenn., near Memphis, and
move to Texas in June.

"Our move would not have been possible without the impact that was felt in
the hospital room the night of Tim's death," Tim Kerlee Sr. said. "We both
had a spiritual experience. ... We couldn't ignore it."

Their son was an honors student at Germantown High School and graduated
third in his class. He also was an Eagle Scout and a member of the National
Honor Society.

Tim Kerlee Sr. is a retired civilian employee of the U.S. Navy, and Janice
taught math at  Collierville High School near Memphis. They will work as
volunteers with the youth at the university through the A&M United Methodist
Church.

"We are excited about working with the young people," Tim said. "We hope to
show saved and unsaved that you can lead a Christian life without turning to
the negative aspects of life, like drugs."

The family has been welcomed warmly in their new home. "This is a very
supportive community," Tim said. "The university has a strong community
bond. They made us feel at home. You do not find that very often."

They have received support from all over. "We have gotten cards and e-mails
from around the world," he said.

Meanwhile, an independent commission recently wrapped up its investigation
of the bonfire accident. It concluded that the accident was caused by two
structural factors: a weakened containment failure and internal stresses in
the stack. The steel cable that had been used to contain the logs in
previous years was not used in 1999. The commission found that a lack of
organization by the students and university officials also contributed to
the collapse.

Texas A&M has announced that the traditional bonfire will be suspended until
2002 and will return with much greater oversight by the university.

# # #

*Gourneau is an intern working with United Methodist News Service in
Nashville, Tenn.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org