From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Presbyterian men host luncheon

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 30 Jun 2000 15:34:56

Note #6079 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

29-June-2000
GA00130

	Presbyterian men host luncheon

	by Emett H. Barfield

LONG BEACH, June 29 - Over 100 men and women of the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.) were welcomed to the annual Presbyterian Men General Assembly
Luncheon by President Donald Travis of the Good Shepherd Presbyterian Church
of Los Alamitas, Calif. Opening the program of the day, President Travis
presented to Committee on Local Arrangements (COLA) Moderator Bill Saul the
Presbyterian Man of the Year award for the outstanding work he has done in
preparing the community for the meeting of the 212th General Assembly.

	The high light of the meeting was the message of the Rev. John A. Huffman,
pastor of the St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church of Newport Beach, Calif.
Huffman's homily was entitled, "Through What Grid Do You Evaluate Yourself."

	Beginning his message by reminding the diners of the recent death of golf
great, Payne Stewart and the death of contemporary Roman Catholic
theologian, Henri Nouwen, Huffman said, "Life is short even at the longest."
In the case of the men he mentioned, life is much, much too short.

	Raising the theme question, "Who are you" he dismissed the three
traditional responses, "I am what I do, I am what people say about me, I am
what I have." He proclaimed, "The greater thing is to see ourselves accepted
by the love of God with the arms of Jesus wrapped around us." For the
minister the only way to live life is to live it in God's Grace,  God's
unmerited grace.

	The meeting was closed with a benediction by the Rev. Curtis A. Miller,
associate men's ministry.