From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Assembly sends same sex union ban amendment to presbyteries

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 30 Jun 2000 22:37:59

Note #6100 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

30-June-2000
GA00150

	Assembly sends same sex union ban amendment to presbyteries

	Measure passes by 268-251 vote

	by Jerry L. Van Marter

LONG BEACH, June 30–After just an hour of impassioned but civil debate, the
212th General Assembly tonight voted by a margin of 268-251 (51 percent to
48 percent) to send a proposed constitutional amendment to its 173
presbyteries that would flatly prohibit same sex union ceremonies in the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).  Four commissioners abstained.

	The proposed amendment -- which came to the Assembly as Overture 00-26 from
San Joaquin Presbytery, would add section W-4.9007 to the "Directory for
Worship" that reads: "Scripture and our Confessions teach that God's
intention for all people is to live either in fidelity within the covenant
of marriage between a man and a woman or in chastity in singleness.  Church
property shall not be used for, and church officers shall not take part in
conducting any ceremony or event that pronounces blessing or gives approval
of the church or invokes the blessing of God upon any relationship that is
inconsistent with God's intention as expressed in the preceding sentence."

	Before the vote, stated clerk Clifton Kirkpatrick pleaded with those in the
hall not to "audibly" react to the results of the ballot.  The vote was
preceded by prayer from moderator Syngman Rhee and a period of silent prayer
and a chorus of "Spirit of the Living God."  Immediately following the vote,
commissioners recited the 23rd Psalm in unison and were led in prayer by
Kirkpatrick and Rhee.

	A minority report, brought to the Assembly by Madeline Jervis of National
Capital Presbytery, representing 16 members of the Assembly Committee on
Physical and Spiritual Well Being, asked the Assembly to "support the spirit
of dialogue" around unity and diversity issues and to honor what it says is
"our denomination's longstanding tradition of valuing the discretion of
pastors and sessions in ordering worship and pastoral care."  The minority
report failed 247-273.

	The debate in plenary echoed the debate earlier in the week in the Assembly
Committee on Physical and Spiritual Well Being, which recommended the
amendment to the Assembly on a 25-22 vote.

	Supporters of the proposed amendment, which must be ratified by a majority
of the presbyteries between now and next year's Assembly, argued that the
church simply cannot bless what the Bible plainly calls sin.  Elizabeth
O'Brien, a Youth Advisory Delegate from the Presbytery of the Peaks, said
the church "has a responsibility to provide a clear standard to upcoming
generations.  If we bless what the Bible calls sin, what kind of standard
are we setting?  We cannot deny the word of the Lord."

	Opponents argued that such an amendment would interfere with the pastoral
responsibilities of ministers and sessions.  The Rev. Dick Carlson of
Mid-Kentucky Presbytery, who said he is the father of gay child, said, "The
people coming before us asking (for their same sex unions to be blessed) are
not strangers or aliens, they are our children who we have baptized and
confirmed.  They have not changed.  What has changed is our perception of
them, they are seen as outsiders and as odious."  Pleading for freedom as a
pastor, Carlson said, "Instead of giving stones when they ask for bread, we
should be a community of support for them.  Closets are for praying in, not
living in."

	Others against the amendment argued that the blessing of same sex unions is
an issue of biblical interpretation, not biblical authority. "We agree on
the authority of Scripture," said minority report spokesperson the Rev.
Madeline Jervis. "It is not helpful for our life as a denomination for the
church to impose one interpretation of Scripture.  This is not the
Presbyterian way, fiat instead of conversation.  Let's not burden our church
with a year of rancorous debate instead of dialogue about unity in
diversity."

	But the Rev. Kirk Bottomly of San Diego Presbytery seemed to reflect the
will of the majority: "There is a lot of confusion in our denomination.  We
need to get the message straight and tell it.  When ordained we take vows to
be bound by Biblical teaching and Confessional standards.  We've talked for
30 years about this, now's time to decide."

	During a brief recess after the vote, the corridor outside the plenary
filled with about 50 supporters of same sex union ceremonies, who sang hymns
in solemn protest.  They did not enter the hall.