From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Council Discusses Issues Related to Homosexuality

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 02 Aug 2000 14:10:14

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 2, 2000

ELCA COUNCIL DISCUSSES ISSUES RELATED TO HOMOSEXUALITY
00-185-JB

     MUNDELEIN, Ill. (ELCA) -- The Church Council of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) discussed a wide variety of issues
related to homosexuality and the church in non-legislative sessions July
29. The sessions included small group discussions and presentations from
ELCA pastors and members with different points of view on gay and
lesbian issues.
     The Church Council is the ELCA's board of directors and serves as
the legislative authority of the church between its churchwide
assemblies.  Assemblies are held every other year; the next is in August
2001 in Indianapolis.
      This is the first time the council has met during a summer in
which an assembly was not held.  It met July 28-30 here at the Center
for Development in Ministry, University of St. Mary on the Lake.
     "This is a rare, first-time opportunity for the Church Council not
to make a decision,"said the Rev. Michael R. Rothaar. "We hope
congregations can find similar ways of discussing similar issues."
Rothaar is director for planning and congregational studies, ELCA
Division for Congregational Ministries, Chicago, and served as
facilitator for the discussions.
     The day-long discussions opened with brief presentations by four
pastors: the Rev. Richard C. Little, Advent Lutheran Church, Charlotte,
N.C.; the Rev. Brian H. Hughes, Holy Shepherd Lutheran Church, Orinda,
Calif.; the Rev. Patricia S. Medley, Hope Lutheran Church, Freehold,
N.J.; and the Rev. Leonard R. Klein, Christ Lutheran Church, York, Pa.
     Calling homosexuality "a pastoral issue," Little said that Jesus
Christ loved tax collectors and adulterers. "I'm not sure the church has
looked into the eyes of gays and lesbians and loved them," he said.
People who are gay and lesbian are created and redeemed by the Lord,
Little said.
     The Bible may not provide all of the answers for questions about
homosexuality, Little said.  He said this is one of those issues in
which the church "has to rely on the Holy Spirit."
     "We need to look at the Scriptures as a window to God rather than God
himself," Little said.
     While the church must hold up the sanctity of marriage between a
man and a woman, Little said the church must provide a public way to
affirm covenant relationships between homosexuals.  He also said the
ordination of gay and lesbian people must be "opened up."
     "It's important for us to try to discern with the basis of
Scripture, but be guided by the Spirit and listen to each other," Little
concluded.
     Hughes said, despite the ELCA's policies on homosexuality and the
ordained ministry, he expects some synods will eventually give their
leaders permission to "ignore" such expectations.  Presently the ELCA
requires all ELCA pastors to abstain from sexual relationships outside
of marriage, and defines marriage as being between one man and one
woman.  Gay and lesbian ELCA pastors are to abstain from homosexual
sexual relationships.  ELCA bishops have advised pastors they do not
approve of same-sex relationship blessing ceremonies, though two ELCA
synods this year adopted resolutions that open the door for such
ceremonies by pastors in those synods.
     "Personally, I am opposed to ordination (of gay and lesbian people
in homosexual relationships), and I would not conduct a same-sex union
service," said Hughes, who described himself as a "reasonable
conservative."  "I believe there is biblical basis for such views.  We
are called to support men and women in marriage."
     Hughes said he also understands that, in certain areas where he
serves, a gay or lesbian pastor may be able to reach out to many people
effectively.  "We can agree to disagree," he said.  Hughes also raised
questions about inconsistencies in ELCA policies.  For example, he said
the church welcomes gay and lesbian people, but rejects their
"leadership gifts" in the ordained ministry.
     "I don't believe this conversation serves the church," Hughes said
of the debate involving ordination of gay and lesbian people in
homosexual sexual relationships.  The more significant question is how
the church is going to live out its mission to the world, Hughes said.
     Hughes added the process of moral deliberation on homosexuality
and other issues is divisive because eventually it leads to votes on
policies.  "That's the issue: Who loses?" he said.
     Medley, a pastor for 24 years, said she was called to the ministry
to serve all people.   "I'm trying to build an inclusive church," she
said.
     Medley said the congregation she serves was energized as it became
involved in the community and began reaching out to all people.
     "We are taught that Christians should live a life of chastity,"
she said.  The Lutheran church has offered two choices to its members:
heterosexual marriage or chastity, Medley said. People "don't choose
their sexual orientation," she said.
     "We need to find a way to invite homosexuals to live publicly with
one person and open their lives to the church," she said.
     "Perhaps I have to be the unreasonable conservative," Klein said
as he began his remarks to the council.  When Lutherans evaluate
experience, they must "refer it" to Scripture, he said.  Klein said that for
27 years, he has presided at weddings.  The marriage ceremony in
The Lutheran Book of Worship refers to God's creation of male and
female, he said.
     "God created us male and female for the self-evident interest of
transmitting life, " Klein said.  Marriage is a vocation to which God
calls many, but others are not called to marriage, he said.
     "The church has a doctrine of marriage, not a doctrine of
committed relationships," Klein said, adding that the church must not
bless relationships other than marriage, and it must not ordain gay
people.  Pastoral care to non-married people must be "charitable,
patient and non-judgmental," Klein said.
     Should the church decide to embrace blessing same-sex
relationships and ordain gay people, Klein warned that resistance and
threat of schism in the ELCA will be significant.  Opposition will be
much greater than current opposition among some Lutherans to the ELCA's
full communion agreement with The Episcopal Church, he said.
     Some tensions in the church on homosexuality may exist "because we
suggest that change is possible in Scripture," Klein said.  The church
may not have authority or the liberty to make such changes, he said.
     "What's happening now has to be enormously intellectually
compelling for us to know where the church has to go," Klein concluded.
     The clergy presentations were followed by two speakers who met
separately with council members to discuss their views.  Speakers were
Robert Gibeling, representing Lutherans Concerned/North America and a
member of Lutheran Church of the Redeemer, Atlanta; and Dottie Ludwig,
representing Eagles' Wings Ministry and a member of North Heights
Lutheran Church, Roseville, Minn.
     Lutherans Concerned is an organization that affirms gay and
lesbian people.  It says it "seeks to employ the Gospel's principles of
inclusiveness and justice, celebrating God's gifts of sexuality and
diversity."
     In describing his life experiences, Gibeling said the gay and
lesbian people he knows are not ignoring the Scriptures.
     "We are studying them (Scriptures) intensely," he said. "We are
trying to discover what they mean.  Gay and lesbian people are looking
at inclusion as 'scripturally based.'"
     One of the most important things a pastor can do to demonstrate
inclusiveness is to publicly state "a positive word" occasionally for
gay and lesbian people, he said.
     Asked if blessing of homosexual relationships would increase
fidelity in such relationships, Gibeling said such ceremonies would
help.
     "What is missing now for gay and lesbian people is the support of
the community," he said. "That's where the church has something to
offer."
     Eagles' Wings Ministry exists for those who desire freedom from
homosexuality, and offers support to families and friends impacted by
homosexuality.  It seeks to "heal" homosexual behavior, Ludwig said in
her session, in which she discussed her life's experiences.
     The ministry seeks to separate feelings from behavior.  Feelings
are not chosen, she said. "The behavior is chosen," Ludwig said,
adding that God does not condemn homosexuals.
     "What I say to people is 'I cannot help you beyond where you're willing
to go,'" Ludwig said. "Some things are very painful to talk about, and I
can't do it."  Eagles' Wings does not minister to people who are in
homosexual relationships, she added.
     "To me, part of the importance of the church is that we are
willing to be a friend, to walk alongside, and yet we have boundaries,"
Ludwig said.
     Following the presentations, council members engaged in small
group discussions about their own experiences with gay and lesbian
people, social and cultural factors and the situations in their own
congregations.  Each group presented summaries of their discussions.
The oral reports revealed a variety of views and concerns among council
members.
     "The highlight of the meeting was a chance to really take some
time away from the press of other business, away from the press of
Church Council business and focus extended time and attention on a
single issue, and that's the issue of homosexuality," said Dr. Addie J.
Butler, ELCA vice president, Philadelphia, in an interview after the
meeting concluded. "It was especially important to me at this time
because we didn't have to take an action on it."
     "I've waited for this meeting since I came on the Church Council,"
said the Rev. Susan L. Engh, council member, Wayzata, Minn.  Engh said
she appreciated the levels of trust and vulnerability, but she had hoped
for more.
     Janet Thompson, council member, Eagan, Minn., said she wanted to
hear more from gay or lesbian people who felt called to ordained
ministry.
      David F. Hagan, council member, Dearborn, Mich., said he was
concerned that the Church Council is now at a place in the discernment
process that the rest of the ELCA may not have reached yet.

For information contact: