From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Principal Honored by U.S. Department of Education

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 08 Aug 2000 09:04:47

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 8, 2000

ELCA PRINCIPAL HONORED BY U.S. DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
00-192-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Carolyn T. Coffey, principal for Christ Lutheran
School, West Covina, Calif., will be honored by the U.S. Department of
Education as a "2000 National Distinguished Principal" in an award
ceremony this fall in Washington, D.C.  Christ Lutheran School is an
elementary school of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).
     "I believe that Christian education should develop the whole child
spiritually, intellectually, physically and socially," said Coffey.  "We
have a responsibility to help the children grow in every aspect of their
lives.  Children must learn to experience their faith; it is not enough
to know Bible stories and memory verses.  The students must be taught to
share Christ's love with others through their actions and words," she
said.
     Coffey has been principal for Christ Lutheran School since 1977.
^From 1975 to 1977, she served as director for early childhood education
there.  Coffey is a member of Christ Lutheran Church, West Covina.
     Coffey earned a master of arts degree from Point Loma Nazarene
University, San Diego, Calif., in 1992.  She earned a bachelor of
science in education degree from Dana College, Blair, Neb., in 1964.
Dana is one of 28 colleges and universities of the ELCA.
     "I share the honor with the church and school and hope both will
receive blessings as a result of my being named a National Distinguished
Principal," said Coffey.  "It is humbling, inasmuch as I know I had only
a small part in providing leadership for Christ Lutheran School.  There
are so many people who had a role in my receiving the award.  It would
never have happened without a congregation which believed in Christian
education, a strong dedicated teaching staff and a parent coalition
willing to give of their time and resources," she said.
     "God provides us with faithful leaders," said John J. Scibilia,
ELCA director for schools.  "Without fanfare or praise expected, Carolyn
has served God in touching the lives of teachers, families and
children."
     The U.S. Department of Education's National Distinguished
Principals Program was established in 1984 as an annual event to honor
elementary and middle school principals "who set the pace, character and
quality of the education children receive during their early school
years."  This program is also sponsored by the National Association of
Elementary School Principals in partnership with the Variable Annuity
Life Insurance Company, Lincoln, Neb.
     One principal is chosen annually from each of the 50 states, the
District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands.  Principals
representing private schools -- kindergarten through grade 8, Department
of Defense Dependents' Schools, and the U.S. Department of State
Overseas Schools -- are recognized.

For information contact: