From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Peacemaking conference leaders issue statement

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 11 Aug 2000 07:40:09

Note #6152 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

11-August-2000
00289

Peacemaking conference leaders issue statement in response to reaction to
news reports

by Jerry Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky. --  In response to numerous questions and complaints about
remarks attributed to the Rev. Dirk Ficca of Chicago in Presbyterian News
Service accounts of the Presbyterian Peacemaking Conference, conference
officials have issued the following statement.  The Presbyterian News
Service will publish a follow-up story on the controversy next week.

	A Statement Regarding the Presbyterian Peacemaking Conference

	At the 2000 Presbyterian Peacemaking Conference, July 26-29, in Orange,
California, some 600 people explored what it means to live as Christians in
a world that is increasingly multi faith and multi-cultural. Through
worship, workshops, plenary sessions, and conversations with leaders of
different faith backgrounds conferees identified ways of building bridges.
Guided by the teachings of Jesus, participants were encouraged to discover
how our reformed beliefs and practices can guide us in overcoming seemingly
insurmountable barriers to living in community and peace with one another.
	One of several conference speakers, the Rev. Dirk Ficca of Chicago,
reflected the conference theme of living faithfully in a diverse world by
addressing ways in which we approach people of other faiths. In doing so, he
spoke about God's revelation in Jesus Christ, our response to that
revelation, and how in God's sovereignty God does the work of salvation.
News accounts of this presentation have led some people who were not at the
conference to question some of his reported statements concerning salvation
and, in turn, to raise questions about the scope and content of the
conference itself.
	The 2000 Peacemaking Conference reflected the Reformed understanding of
salvation, which is that God alone is the author and source of salvation
which we experience through Jesus Christ.  This affirmation was a basic
premise in planning for this peacemaking conference.  A further stated goal
of the conference was "to explore and ground our own Christian experience in
our biblical and reformed roots."  At no time did the conference or its
speakers present the Christian faith as an option among many.  In keeping
with our church's interfaith policy participants were reminded that, as
Presbyterians, we acknowledge that people of other faith perspectives have
different views, to which we must listen respectfully and with which we must
engage in meaningful dialogue. "Respectful Presence: An Understanding of
Interfaith Prayer and Celebration from a Reformed Christian Perspective" was
suggested reading for conferees. "Respectful Presence" is a document and
study guide developed to help Presbyterians in their relationship with
people of other faiths and was commended to congregations for study by the
209th General Assembly (1997).
	The 1999 Peacemaking Conference, "Who Do You Say That I Am?", which focused
on Jesus' ministry, purposely preceded this conference to help Presbyterians
become more grounded in their Christian beliefs before entering into
interfaith dialogue.  It is by grounding ourselves in our own biblical and
reformed roots that we can with integrity enter into dialogue with those of
other faiths with whom we share our existence as a part of God's creation.
The issues of living faithfully in a religiously diverse world will only
grow more important in the years ahead.  The 2000 conference represented one
more step the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) has taken toward that end.
	For additional information about the Peacemaking Conference, please visit
the conference Web site at: http://horeb.pcusa.org/peace2000/live/. For more
information about the Office of Ecumenical and Interfaith Relations, please
visit: http://www.pcusa.org/pcusa/wmd/eir/
	For resources and guidance for engaging in further discussion on living
with people of other faiths, please contact the Office of Interfaith
Relations at 888-728-7228, ext. 5304 or the  Presbyterian Peacemaking
Program at ext 5784.

Presbyterian Peacemaking Program and
Office of Interfaith Relations