From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Suomi College Reborn as Finlandia University

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 17 Aug 2000 12:27:46

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 17, 2000

ELCA SUOMI COLLEGE REBORN AS FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY
00-196-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Suomi College, Hancock, Mich., was reborn as
Finlandia University on July 1.  The university is one of 28 colleges
and universities of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).
     The name change is designed to help students, administrators and
others connect the institution with its Finnish roots and to "show our
commitment to change and to meeting the needs of students," said Dr.
Robert A. Ubbelohde, president of Finlandia.
     "As we enter a new millennium, we need to look forward," Ubbelohde
said.  "Suomi College has been [in Hancock] for more than 100 years,
serving students from [Michigan's] upper peninsula and surrounding
areas.  It is time to take that wonderful heritage and offer it to
students across the country and around the world."
     Ubbelohde said Finlandia is "immediately recognized as being
connected to Finland, while the meaning of Suomi is not generally
recognized."  He said the new name will let potential students "know
exactly what the college is, and should attract more to request
information or come up to visit recruiters at school fairs."
     Paavo Lipponen, Finland's prime minister, said Finlandia
University "strongly reinforces the school's link with Finland.  It's
Finnish heritage shows through proudly with the new name, and I wish
much success in Suomi's new phase of development as Finlandia."
     Established in 1896 as Suomi College, Finlandia University is a
four-year bachelor's degree granting institution.  This fall the
university will offer students two new bachelor's degree programs --
liberal arts studies and general studies.  Finlandia is the only private
college located in Michigan's upper peninsula and the only university in
the United States founded by Finnish immigrants.

For information contact: