From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Commentary: Annual conferences should approve baptism measure

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 22 Aug 2000 13:01:05

Aug. 22, 2000 News media contact: Tim Tanton·(615)742-5470·Nashville, Tenn.
10-71B{378}

A UMNS Commentary
By the Rev. Andy Langford*

The General Conference took many positive actions during its meeting last
May in Cleveland. The most significant actions included proposed
constitutional changes to reflect United Methodism's unique understanding
and practice of the sacrament of baptism. I hope and expect that the
proposed constitutional changes related to baptism will be approved next
year by every annual conference.

A little history may be useful. In 1976, our denomination adopted for
alternate use "A Service of Baptism, Confirmation and Reaffirmation." This
service was the most biblical and Wesleyan/Evangelical United Brethren
baptismal liturgy since we dropped John Wesley's Sunday Service in the late
18th century. After 200 years of confusion in both the practice and theology
of baptism, we United Methodists finally had a liturgy that reflected our
own distinctive baptismal theology.

Almost every liturgist and theologian in our connection celebrated this
achievement. The 1980 General Conference adopted this new baptismal service
as official liturgy for all United Methodists. After 10 years of use, the
1988 General Conference again adopted this service as our official baptismal
liturgy for our United Methodist Hymnal. In 1992, the General Conference
adopted this baptismal liturgy again for our United Methodist Book of
Worship. The 1996 General Conference accepted "By Water and the Spirit," a
foundational document that clearly stated our own unique United Methodist
theological understanding of baptism as reflected in the new liturgy.

For almost 25 years, our official liturgical documents have promoted this
distinctive United Methodist practice and understanding of baptism. The 2000
General Conference, after much study, approved constitutional changes to our
Book of Discipline that reflect what we have officially taught and practiced
since 1976.

Some folk now oppose these constitutional changes. Some people have objected
that our liturgy preceded formal theological documents and church
constitutional law. The classic phrase, "lex orandi lex credendi (worship
practice precedes theological formulation)," reminds us that theology and
law always follow worship patterns. As has been true in the history of the
church, the liturgy of the people always shapes theology and law.

Other critics complain that the theology expressed in our baptismal liturgy,
the 1996 theological document, and proposed constitutional amendments are
contrary to our distinctive United Methodist tradition. I strongly disagree.
Read John Wesley's treatise "On Baptism," "The Articles on Religion of The
Methodist Church" (in Paragraph 62 of the Discipline), "The Confession of
Faith of the Evangelical United Brethren Church" (Paragraph 62), and the
other classic formulations of our baptismal theology.

Before annual conferences vote in 2001, I encourage every member of our
church to read the primary documents and rediscover what United Methodists
really do believe about baptism. All of these documents support a careful
and delicate balance between sacramental and evangelical theologies of
baptism. We believe that God's work in baptism is transforming, and that
every person must personally claim God's grace given in baptism.

Critics who oppose our new practice, doctrine and law unfortunately all fall
off on one side or the other of this divide. To defeat the proposed
amendments would be a major repudiation of our own distinctive theology and
push us either into Roman Catholic sacramentalism or Baptist evangelicalism.

United Methodists, for the sake of our tradition and unity, should support
the actions of the 2000 General Conference and adopt the proposed
constitutional changes that reflect our common practice and classic
theology.

# # #

*Langford is general editor of The United Methodist Book of Worship and
senior pastor of St. Stephen United Methodist Church in Charlotte, N.C.

Commentaries provided by United Methodist News Service do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of UMNS or the United Methodist Church.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org