From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Students at the General Seminary in New York open a shelter

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 23 Aug 2000 13:28:27

For more information contact:
James Solheim
Director
Episcopal News Service
jsolheim@dfms.org
212/922-5385
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-126

Students at the General Seminary in New York open a shelter

by Laurie Brock

     (ENS) Curtains and bright paint cover graffiti. On the
entrance table, a note in a memo book reads: "I'm glad I have my
own bed. It's nice to sleep in my bed every night." Since April
17, six to eight elderly homeless men are welcomed as overnight
guests at the General Theological Seminary in Manhattan.

     They are referred by Peter's Place, a 24-hour drop-in center
for elderly homeless people in New York City. Staying with the
men are volunteers from a pool consisting of seminary students,
spouses and partners, faculty and staff, neighborhood volunteers,
and volunteers from Holy Apostles and St. Peter's churches in the
neighborhood.

     The overnight shelter is open four nights a week during the
school year from Monday to Thursday and two nights a week, Sunday
and Monday, during the summer months. The guests arrive by bus
from Peter's Place each night about 8:30 and depart before 7:00
each morning. Along with a safe, warm place to sleep, guests can
read, play a game, and eat a snack. As the volunteer pool
increases, the seminary plans to increase the number of nights
that the shelter is open.

Idea began in classroom

     When did this project start? In the fall of 1999, several
students in an Anglican Moral Theology class talked about the
seminary's relationship with the homeless. Jennifer Barrows, a
student and the director of Peter's Place, told the class of the
critical need for overnight shelters.

     The Rev. Mary Haddad, a 2000 graduate of the seminary and
deacon at St. Mary the Virgin in Manhattan, explained, "We asked
ourselves what it meant to say daily at Morning Prayer, 'Let not
the needy, O Lord, be forgotten; nor the hope of the poor be
taken away.'"

     The class decided that the seminary could offer a response
to homeless people. With the help of Barrows, students wrote and
presented to the dean a proposal for an on-campus shelter.

     After receiving the support of Dean Ward Ewing, the group
then made a presentation to the seminary's social action
committee. That committee voted to support a dialogue with the
seminary community and neighborhood residents about the
possibility of an on-campus ministry to homeless people.  On
February 3, 2000, these conversations began.

     Presentations were made from representatives of agencies
that work with homeless people in New York City including Brenda
Griffin and Bill Appel from the Partnership for the Homeless, and
Alan Fellowes, coordinator for the shelter at Calvary/St.
George's in Manhattan. That shelter has housed 14 homeless people
every day since 1982.

     After five meetings, the seminary community voted to endorse
the on-campus overnight shelter. A list of volunteers began to
grow and donations were received to cover startup costs.

Dialogues are crucial

     The dialogues were crucial to the process. "The aim was to
foster conversation among the many people who would be involved
and affected by the shelter, said Faith D'Urbano. "These
discussions also resulted in a large pool of volunteers and the
ability to open the shelter on the Monday of Holy Week."

     Gaining the community's support  was only one step. Although
plans were presented during the dialogues, the shelter still
needed to be built. New York City's Department of Homeless
Services provided beds, linens, blankets, and laundry service, as
well as reimbursement for food provided to the guests and for
heating costs.

     The seminary provided the physical space, and the volunteer
work force cleaned, painted, and decorated the new shelter. The
Partnership for the Homeless provided initial training for
shelter volunteers.

     On April 17, with Dr. Tom Breidenthal, professor of
Christian ethics, officiating, members of the seminary community,
shelter volunteers, and shelter guests participated in a house
blessing to open the shelter. Haddad recalled her first night in
the shelter. "I spent one night in the shelter shortly after it
opened. It was not one of the best night's sleep I ever had but
it was very moving," she said. "There was both a strangeness and
a familiarity to the experience."

     She added, "You are in this room with complete strangers
shooting the breeze about life and the street and the ways of the
world. Then, a half hour later, it's lights out. It's a pajama
party with strangers. I guess you could call it a 'Kingdom of God
sleep over.'"

     Jonah Kendall, a senior from the Diocese of New York,
appreciated the opportunity to be involved in faith-based
community organizing. "The way of the Gospel is one of service
and love. Therefore I believe that as Christians we are called to
actively express this message in a public capacity, both in
church and in our local communities."

     Dean Ewing agrees, pointing out that "God also calls us to
make a difference in our city and neighborhood.  This call is
realized in the many parishes and institutions where our students
have always served. But now, thanks to their initiative
undertaken with prayerful determination, this ministry is
happening in our midst."

--Brock is a second-year postulant from the Diocese of Alabama.
This article is an edited version of one that first appeared in
the Episcopal New Yorker.