From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Canadian Anglicans sorting out implications of lawsuits

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 23 Aug 2000 13:28:29

For more information contact:
James Solheim
Director
Episcopal News Service
jsolheim@dfms.org
212/922-5385
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-118

Canadian Anglicans sorting out implications of lawsuits for
national church

by James Solheim

     (ENS) In the face of hundreds of lawsuits seeking damages
for the church's role in administering residential schools where
there is evidence of cultural and sexual abuse, the Anglican
Church in Canada has begun to cut its staff and program.

     The church began to lay off staff on August 14 and cut more
than half a million dollars in grants to support ministry in the
northern part of the country and overseas. Eight full-time staff,
out of a total of 125, are leaving now, with additional layoffs
likely in the coming months. Budget cuts are 11 percent of the
church's annual budget of $10.9 million. "With these reductions
we will balance our operating expenditures in the current year,"
said the Rev. Jim Boyles, the church's general secretary, "but
our assets will continue to be depleted to pay for litigation
costs."

     The General Synod of the church and eight of its dioceses
have been named in about 350 lawsuits claiming cultural, physical
and sexual abuse at residential schools run for indigenous
children. Anglican, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic and United
Churches participated with the government in running the schools
until 1969. At that time the Anglican Church committed itself to
a new relationship with indigenous people, establishing a Healing
and Reconciliation Fund in 1991 when the reports of abuse began
to emerge. Despite cuts in the national budget, support for the
fund will double, increasing from $262,000 to $547,000 annually.
The fund is administered by the Anglican Council of Indigenous
Peoples.

Facing bankruptcy?

     Boyles said that the church is continuing its efforts to
convince the government to stop pursuing lawsuits as its primary
response to the more than 7,000 individuals who are seeking
compensation. "We agree with the Law Commission of Canada that a
redress mechanism would offer a better means of meeting the needs
of people who were harmed in the schools," said Boyles. "We have
told the government that we could make a substantial commitment,
both financially and in other ways, to supporting such a redress
program."

     Boyles admitted that the church is considering bankruptcy
protection that would give it time to seek ways to meet the
financial crisis while continuing its mission. "But our favored
option is to find agreement with the government to allow the
church to remain in operation." The church has already warned the
government that it would run out of money next year unless the
government assumed a share of its legal expenses.

     Most dioceses are independently incorporated and won't be
touched by the lawsuits. Only those in western Canada that are
named in the lawsuits could face bankruptcy. And the nine
dioceses in the far north that depend on direct funding from the
national church face an uncertain future.

     The church will also reduce its work in environmental and
social justice areas, cut the size of its national newspaper, the
Anglican Journal, and eliminate its Resource Center, which
supports parish ministries.

United Church faces anger

     A conference of the United Church of Canada (UCC) passed a
sympathetic message of support but then withdrew it because of
angry complaints by native clergy.

     The UCC is also being sued by hundreds of former students in
residential schools for native youth but it does not face the
same financial crisis.

     The original statement said, "The United Church of Canada
conveys our support, solidarity and prayers to the Anglican
Church of Canada and its staff during this painful time of staff
cuts, financial crisis and overall anxiety." The 400 delegates
attending the conference at first applauded but then fell silent
as native clergy from the western provinces angrily denounced the
message, several of them citing damage to their families. "The
Anglican Church destroyed my family," said Janet Sigurdson of
Saskatchewan.

     The anger stemmed from a lack of consultation with native
clergy before the message was presented. "We have some First
Nations members who would condemn the United Church for its
involvement in residential schools, too," said the Rev. Brian
Thorpe, who heads a committee on residential schools. "Some are
very loyal to the church but at the same time are angry about its
involvement in these schools."

     Government help?

     The churches are seeking help from the federal government,
hoping that it will implement a process for validating and
compensating the claims outside of court, rather than dragging
each of the thousands of cases through the legal system.

     Reports suggest that the government's cabinet can't agree on
a course of action and therefore has been very slow in responding
to the crisis. And there has been no response to efforts by
church leaders to meet with government officials who must decide
how much public money can be spent in addressing the issue. In
1998 it established a "healing fund" of $350 million to pay for
social projects in native communities. That calmed the situation
but did not prevent a growing number of lawsuits seeking
individual compensation. The churches have said they would
contribute to establishing a new fund, if the government would
help them avoid bankruptcy.

--based on reports from the Anglican News Service and the
National Post.