From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutherans and Episcopalians look into the future

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 23 Aug 2000 13:30:33

For more information contact:
James Solheim
Director
Episcopal News Service
jsolheim@dfms.org
212/922-5385
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-127

Lutherans and Episcopalians look into the future--together

by Ron Englund

     (ENS) "Where do we go from here?" That was the major
question discussed at a conference of Episcopalians and Lutherans
held July 21-24 at Virginia Theological Seminary in Alexandria.

     The question arises from the adoption this summer of "Called
to Common Mission" (CCM), an agreement which brings the 5.2
million member Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and
the 2.4 million member Episcopal Church into full communion with
each other. The Anglican-Lutheran Society sponsored the
conference under the theme, "Living into Full Communion." Several
Roman Catholics were among the more than 50 who took part in the
sessions.

     "Full communion" is not a merger but will bring these
American churches into partnership in their ministries, a
partnership that includes interchangeability of their clergy. The
ELCA adopted CCM at its Churchwide Assembly last year while the
Episcopal Church adopted this historic agreement at its July
General Convention in Denver.

     Speakers from the United States and Europe discussed the
implication of CCM and compared it with two Anglican-Lutheran
agreements in Europe: the 1991 Meissen Agreement between the
Church of England and the Evangelical (Lutheran, Reformed and
United) Churches in Germany; and the 1996 Porvoo Agreement
between the British and Irish Anglican churches and the Nordic
and Baltic Lutheran churches.

Convergence in worship

     Dr. William Petersen, professor of church history at Bexley
Hall, an Episcopal theological seminary in Rochester, New York,
spoke on CCM from an Anglican perspective. He noted that, in
their dialogues through the years, Lutherans and Episcopalians
have found a convergence in worship and liturgy.

     He urged that Episcopal and Lutheran congregations "be
intentional about worshipping together four or five times a
year." Because of difficulties in joint worship on Sunday
mornings, he suggests major festivals such as Epiphany, the
festival of the Wise Men on January 6; Ash Wednesday, the
beginning of Lent; Reformation Day, October 31; and All Saints'
Day, November 1. He reminded the participants that liturgy has a
service aspect and must lead to practical ways of serving people
in the community. This may be done more effectively by joint
efforts of the churches.

     Petersen also noted that Christian education, especially
among adults, offers possibilities for joint courses with the
opportunity for members of each church to share in the tradition
and gifts of the other church. He said that ecumenical
conversations need to be frank and honest. "Unity in Christ must
not be a pious dream but a practical reality," he added.

Unity in reconciled diversity

     Dr. Michael Root, professor of theology at Trinity Lutheran
Seminary in Columbus, Ohio, spoke of the background of CCM and
difficulties some Lutherans have in accepting the new
relationship with the Episcopal Church. While Lutherans and
Episcopalians agree on the doctrine of apostolic succession, an
ongoing "faithful proclamation of Christ," the Episcopal Church
brings to the new relationship the "historic episcopate," a
succession of bishops as a sign of unity going back to the early
days of the Christian Church.

     The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America will receive the
historic episcopate in the new agreement. Even though many
Lutheran churches around the world already have the historic
episcopate, a minority of ELCA members have opposed this aspect
of CCM, claiming that it violates Lutheran teaching that
agreement on the gospel and sacraments is all that is necessary
for church unity.

     Root said that reasons for Lutheran opposition to CCM
include questions of Lutheran identity and a general mistrust of
central authority. He also noted that some Lutherans see their
church as a denomination on its own, while other Lutherans see
their church as a movement within the church catholic.

     Root also pointed out that, until the 1970s, the ecumenical
goal was the structural merger of the churches. Now the
ecumenical goal is "unity in reconciled diversity" where churches
keep their identities but share in ministry, sacraments, witness
and service. However, he cautioned against saying, "Now we've
done it," seeing the present agreement as the final goal.

European agreements

     Bishop David Tustin, an international ecumenical leader who
retired this spring as Anglican bishop of Grimsby, England,
discussed the two major Anglican-Lutheran agreements in Europe.
While the Meissen Agreement does not involve full communion, it
has led to many important contacts between the churches on a
parish and regional level. More than half of the dioceses of the
Church of England have partnerships with churches in Germany, he
pointed out. Tustin also told of Anglican-Lutheran dialogues and
agreements in Canada, Brazil and countries in Africa

     The Porvoo Agreement is a relationship of full communion
similar to Called to Common Mission. The Very Rev. Margarethe
Isberg, dean of Västerås Cathedral in the Church of Sweden, told
of the growing number of contacts between the Anglican and
Lutheran churches in the United Kingdom and Ireland, but also the
churches in the Nordic and Baltic countries. She pointed out that
"the life of Porvoo is most visible in parishes." Contacts and
exchange visits are taking place among youth, teachers and other
lay members as well as among clergy.

     Bishop Theodore F. Schneider of the ELCA Metropolitan
Washington (DC) Synod, summed up the difference that CCM makes
by saying, "I always realized that when I walked into an Episcopal
Church I would be welcomed. Now I know that I belong. And that's
a wonderful difference."

Beyond stereotypes

     The Rev. Paul Lee, ecumenical officer for the Roman Catholic
Diocese of Washington, DC, spoke on the final day about Lutheran-
Roman Catholic and Anglican-Roman Catholic dialogues. He said
that "the fact that we've been able to get together for serious
dialogue in the past 30 years, after our centuries of separation
and often hostility, is truly remarkable." He spoke of the
importance of the "reconciliation and purification of memories"
of the long hurt that has been experienced because of hatred and
prejudice. "We need to go beyond stereotypes of each other," he
added.

     The conference was organized by the Anglican-Lutheran
Society which works for better understanding between the
Anglican/Episcopal churches and the Lutheran churches around the
world. Founded in England in 1984, the society's American
membership has grown significantly in recent years. Its next
conference will be held in Ratzeburg, Germany, September 14-17,
2001.

--Ron Englund is a Lutheran pastor who has served churches in
London and is now living in Massachusetts.