From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

GAC leaders issue statement on Peacemaking Conference address

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 24 Aug 2000 09:09:03

Note #6160 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

24-August-2000
00298

GAC leaders issue statement on Peacemaking Conference address

LOUISVILLE, Ky.—General Assembly Council chair Peter Pizor and executive
director John Detterick have issued the following statement on the
controversy surrounding the keynote address of the Rev. Dirk Ficca at last
month's Presbyterian Peacemaking Conference:

August 23, 2000

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
	In his July 29 keynote address at the 2000 Presbyterian Peacemaking
Conference, "Uncommon Ground: Living Faithfully in a Diverse World," the
Reverend Dirk Ficca presented his thoughts on how Christians are to maintain
the integrity of their Christian identity while engaging in a positive way
with those who are religiously different. News stories reporting on the
address have sparked concern on how Ficca dealt with the Lordship of Jesus
Christ and some are calling for a repudiation by PC(USA) leadership.
	First and foremost, we want to clearly acknowledge that the Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.) firmly believes that God has put all things under the
Lordship of Jesus Christ. We believe that God's love and grace for us was
revealed through the life, death, and resurrection of Christ Jesus and that
through Christ, with Christ, in Christ, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, all
glory and honor belong to Almighty God. We read Rev. Ficca's address as
affirming this position when he says, "God was in Christ, reconciling the
world to God's self. I believe that with all my heart."
	Second, we want to make clear that it is consistent with prior General
Assembly statements that the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) be involved in
activities related to interfaith concerns. The 211th General Assembly (1999)
encourages the General Assembly Council and its ministry units to establish
relationships with multi-faith, interreligious bodies on behalf of the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) using the criteria of the "Guidelines for
Participation in Interfaith Bodies," adopted by the 204th General Assembly
(1992).
	Some who attended the conference comment that Rev. Ficca's statements were
well-grounded theologically and very helpful. His statements strike others
as concepts that challenge the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Constitution as
written in our "Book of Order" and "The Book of Confessions." Regardless,
Rev. Ficca speaks for himself and not for the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
Given the open dialogue encouraged at the Peacemaking Conference and given
the urging of previous General Assemblies to engage in interfaith
relationships, we support discussion that responsibly explores how we are to
live faithfully as Presbyterians in a religiously plural world.
	Rev. Ficca has given permission for us to distribute the full text of his
presentation. If you would like a copy, please contact Neva Newlin at
nevan@ctr.pcusa.org or 888/728-7228, Ext. 5510.

In Christ,

Peter Pizor		John J. Detterick
Chair			Executive Director