From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Each day brings new challenges for UMCOR staff in Kosovo

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 24 Aug 2000 14:52:56

Aug. 24, 2000  News media contact: Tim Tanton·(615)742-5470·Nashville, Tenn.
10-71BP{384}

NOTE: For related coverage, see UMNS stories #383 and #385. Photographs are
available.

By the Rev. Mike Stanton-Rich*

KOSOVO MITROVICA, Yugoslavia (UMNS) -- Tim Madigan is a long way from
Cleveland.

It is 9 a.m. in Mitrovica, and his office is full of people wanting
something from him. Some want a job, others want building materials, and
many just want Madigan to visit their village so he can see what it looks
like.

As folks clear out, he meets with engineers, warehouse managers, senior
staff. Before he can leave the office, he has to make an important call to
Sarajevo to secure another shipment of building materials. When you are in
charge, you don't get a break until you jump in the truck, and even then
there's still the radio.

Madigan is director of the Shelter Program for the United Methodist
Committee on Relief in Kosovo, and has been on the job since June 1999.
Since last year, more than 500 families in four villages (equal to about
4,500 people) have received materials to rebuild their homes, which were
destroyed by the war in Kosovo.

Driving through Mitrovica, Madigan discusses the problems he faces. "We made
some great progress this year, but new folks are coming back home every day.
There are still people in temporary housing from last winter, and we are
only months away from another one. I don't know how we'll face another
winter with inadequate housing."

Arriving at French KFOR headquarters downtown, we are met by the
nongovernmental organization liaison. He tells us to let him know if KFOR,
the United Nations peacekeeping force, can help in any way, and we quickly
take him up on his offer. A contractor's truck carrying sand to one of the
villages where UMCOR is distributing materials has turned over and is
blocking most of the main road through the mountains. The Belgian soldier
puts in the request and it is honored. The problem will be handled "sometime
this afternoon," he says.

That's a small miracle in Kosovo. Madigan is in a great mood and feeling
lucky. He takes a reporter to the other side of the bridge, into North
Mitrovica. The Serbs had rioted just a day before, and the area is
noticeably tense, but lunch is good. "Real ham on the pizza; we don't have
that on the south side," Madigan remarks.

After lunch, we head up the mountain to the villages of Bare and Bajgore.
Passing one red-tiled roof after another, we are in UMCOR country. We reach
the site of the accident and find KFOR already working on the situation.
Negotiations ensue, and the village leader allows KFOR to topple a portion
of fence to move a crane into place. Only three hours have passed since we
requested assistance.

We meet with some of the village folks, who want to show the American
reporter where a NATO bomb destroyed a home that Serbs commandeered during
the war. Then we see their homes, which are nearly rebuilt with the help of
UMCOR. The roof tiles, floorboards, doors and even the sand for the stucco
all give the homes the stamp of Madigan's program. Chickens are in the yard
and sheep are in the fields, compliments of UMCOR's agriculture program.

Returning to the main office, Madigan negotiates with a truck driver who
wants to leave unacceptable materials at the warehouse. "You can do what you
want with them and drive home, but we cannot receive inferior materials," he
tells the driver.

UMCOR has been busy since last year, but much work remains. Ninety homes in
the Bare and Bajgore have been identified as Category 5 homes, most
destroyed or deemed irreparable. Slightly more than $1 million from UMCOR
partners has been designated to provide new housing for some of the neediest
families.

"UMCOR is offering materials and organization for these families to rebuild
their homes," explains Ruzan Agahazadian, a staff member from Armenia, who
oversees the Category 5 project. "This is a self-help program where they
only receive materials if they can show that they have the ability to build
and give back to the community."

The standard plans for the homes are small, with the largest home spanning
just over 800 square feet. "Some of these families have lived through two
winters without adequate housing," Madigan says. "This is a chance for them
to live a normal life."

One of the warehouse managers, Agron Spahia, is in the office before the day
ended. "Tell your readers I have seen over 250 large trucks come through the
warehouse, and we have already sent out 95 percent of the materials
received," Spahia tells the reporter. "Thank them for their help."

Madigan still has a couple of hours in the office before returning home.
"Every day is different and has its new challenges," he says. "But it's
worth it when you see entire villages restored, and you know you've helped."

# # #

*Stanton-Rich is pastor of New Covenant United Methodist Church in Mount
Holly, N.C. He was in Kosovo Aug. 7-17 as a volunteer with the United
Methodist Committee on Relief.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org