From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Man cleared by DNA testing is set free

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 28 Aug 2000 13:13:56

Note #6170 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

28-August-2000
00308

Man cleared by DNA testing is set free

Presbyterians paid for test that proved rape defendant's innocence

by Evan Silverstein

LOUISVILLE, Ky. —  Rape charges have been dismissed against a Louisville man
released from prison last month after DNA test results proved his innocence.
	A retired Presbyterian seminary professor and his wife raised about $5,000
for the DNA testing that freed William Thomas Gregory, 52, after more than
seven years in prison.
	Gregory is the first person in Kentucky to be released from prison based on
new DNA evidence. The tests cleared him of involvement in the rape and
attempted rape of two women eight years ago.
	The testing proved that Gregory was not the source of six hairs found in a
stocking worn by the rapist during one of the attacks. The Rev. George
Edwards and his wife, Jean, raised money for Gregory to have the first hair
tested, although they never met Gregory until his July 5 release from the
Northpoint Training Center in Burgin, Ky. Gregory had been serving his
70-year prison sentence there.
	"Since he's been out our hopes have not been disappointed in him," George
Edwards said. "He's been with us in our church, and his conduct we feel has
been exemplary and meets our highest expectations. We are very exultant over
his good fortune."
	George Edwards taught New Testament and New Testament Greek at Louisville
Presbyterian Theological Seminary for 27 years, starting in the 1950s. The
Edwardses have worshiped at Central Presbyterian Church in Louisville for
nearly a quarter-century. Gregory, who has been attending services there
since being freed, plans to join the 180-member congregation.
	George Edwards has led a number of Presbyterian congregations. He has
served as pastor of Pittsboro Presbyterian Church near Chapel Hill, N.C.,
and Blacknall Memorial Presbyterian Church in Durham, N.C.
	"I was very thrilled at being in the courtroom with him again and to have
this thing brought to closure," said Jean Edwards. "We are enjoying getting
to know him."
	During a brief hearing in Jefferson Circuit Court on Aug. 25, Judge Barry
Willett dismissed two counts of burglary and one count each of rape and
attempted rape — the charges of which Gregory was convicted in 1993.
	"I'm excited," Gregory said during a news conference after the hearing.
"I'm very, very excited about rejoining society as a normal human being. I
can go on with some type of life now. I've got a life."
	Until now, Gregory's criminal records followed him everywhere. He was
unable to secure credit, buy a car or start back to work at Sears, Roebuck &
Co., where he was a salesman before his conviction.
	"When I first got out of prison, I was like a baby," said Gregory, who is
taking business classes at a local community college. "A baby has to depend
on everybody. I was dependent when I first got out of prison. Now I can
depend on myself."
	The hairs found in the assailant's stocking could not be tested at the time
of the rapes because technicians needed roots of hairs in order to extract
DNA, and these had no roots. However, a DNA test developed later can extract
DNA from a hair shaft. A laboratory in Pennsylvania tested one hair and
excluded Gregory as its source. Money raised by the Edwardses covered the
cost of that test.
	In agreeing to dismiss the charges, prosecutors confirmed that Gregory's
conviction was wrong.
 	"There was no other source of those hairs except for the perpetrator,"
said Commonwealth's Attorney Dave Stengel, who filed a motion on Aug. 24
asking that the charges be dismissed. "And that perpetrator was not Mr.
Gregory."
	Stengel said little hope remains of finding the true culprit.