From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Barna Research Group to aid 'Igniting Ministry' effort

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 28 Aug 2000 14:11:50

Aug. 28, 2000 News media contact: Thomas S.
McAnally·(615)742-5470·Nashville, Tenn.     10-21-71B{386}

NOTE: This story is accompanied by a sidebar, UMNS #387.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) - In a major effort to raise public awareness of the
United Methodist Church through television, the denomination's
communications agency has hired one of the nation's best-known research
organizations.

Barna Research Group, based in Ventura, Calif., will interview people
between the ages of 25 and 54, the target group set by United Methodist
Communications (UMCom) for the churchwide "Igniting Ministry" television ad
campaign. Researchers will identify issues that are important to people who
haven't attended a church in at least six months - particularly the
"shoppers" who are looking for a church and the "hoppers" who are jumping
from one congregation to another.

During the survey, researchers will seek to determine what attributes those
people find most attractive about the United Methodist Church. Using the
profiles, UMCom officials will produce television spots and other materials
for the campaign.

In May, the church's General Conference approved $20 million during the next
four years for Igniting Ministry, a national advertising campaign that will
be supplemented by regional and local church efforts. Nashville-based UMCom
is reordering some of its priorities and staff to handle administration of
the effort.

The Rev. Steve Horswill-Johnston, campaign director, describes Igniting
Ministry as "an exciting new kind of evangelism, using modern technology and
the common language of television to spread the good news of Christ to a
world in need."

While much of the campaign will be focused on television commercials,
Horswill-Johnston said it will be much more. "It's also a coordinated and
comprehensive series of efforts offering resources to assist local churches
in strengthening their welcoming and marketing skills," he said. "All of it
is aimed at helping make disciples of Christ."

The campaign will be launched officially in fall 2001, but initial materials
were rolled out at an annual training event for new district superintendents
and council on ministries directors at Lake Junaluska, N.C., in late August.
The packet of materials will be mailed to all bishops and district
superintendents early in September. Other people may order what UMCom
leaders are calling a "tour book of the campaign" by contacting Igniting
Ministry (toll free) at (877) 281-6535 or sending an e-mail message to
im@umcom.org .

Once the General Conference supported the effort, UMCom staff members began
working on implementation. "We knew we couldn't do television spots in a
vacuum," Horswill-Johnston said. "We must be able to say with some certainty
the spots are based on sound research. Barna will help us define strategy
and themes for the campaign and will help us understand the media habits of
this age group."

The independent marketing research company has been studying cultural trends
related to values, beliefs, attitudes and behaviors since it was founded in
1984.  George Barna,  president , expressed gratitude for being involved
with Igniting Ministry.  "Opportunities for achieving significant ministry
impact these days are numerous," he said.  "Americans remain open to and
interested in spirituality but many churches fail to attract people because
they fail to understand their hearts and minds."

While some research has been done among Protestant denominations,
Horswill-Johnston said this will be a first for the United Methodist Church.
"We're going to learn things we haven't known about our denomination," he
said. "What is there about our church that might appeal to these people?"

David Kinnaman, vice president of Barna Research, will be working on many of
the day-to-day details of the project. "Helping churches and denominations
pinpoint their target and minister more effectively is the very reason our
firm exists," he said. "We are excited and honored to be a part of this
important project and pray that the research ultimately helps the United
Methodist Church become increasingly equipped for ministry in our culture."

Kinnaman said the Igniting Ministry research will likely involve four main
areas of inquiry:
·	Discover a profile of the people in the target audience. What makes
them tick emotionally and spiritually? What are their felt needs? Have they
attended Christian churches? What baggage has been created by those
experiences?
·	Measure awareness of the United Methodist Church. What impressions
do people have of the church compared to other denominations?
·	Identify possible themes and messages for the campaign. What would
be most compelling, believable, unique? What would be most effective in
convincing people to visit a United Methodist church?
·	Assess viewers' media habits. What percentage of the target audience
has cable or satellite TV service? How many hours per week do people in the
group watch television? What magazines do they subscribe to?
# # #

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org