From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Stated Clerk sends condolences to Russian church leaders over loss

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 29 Aug 2000 13:59:04

Note #6175 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

of sub
29-August-2000
00313

Stated Clerk sends condolences to Russian church leaders over loss of sub

by Evan Silverstein

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) has expressed
condolences to leaders of the Orthodox, Baptist and Lutheran churches in
Russia following the deaths of 118 crewmen  aboard the sunken Russian
submarine Kursk.
	"At this time of immense grief, there is nothing anyone can say that can
take away the pain," wrote the Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick, stated clerk of the
General Assembly, in a letter dated Aug. 29. "I only hope you know that
Presbyterians in the United States, like all people of good will everywhere,
are thinking of you and lifting up the crew of the Kursk and their
families."
	The nuclear sub sank during routine naval exercises in the Barents Sea on
Aug. 12, killing all aboard. Kirkpatrick described the dead sailors, about
half of whom were 19 or 20 years old, as "brave," and said their loss
"touches us all."
	Virtually identical letters were sent to Bishop Georg Kretchmar,
Evangelical Lutheran Church of Russia and Other States; Peter Konovalchik,
President, Russian Union of Evangelical Christians-Baptists; and His
Holiness Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Alexy II.
	Referring to media reports on the tragedy, Kirkpatrick wrote, "We  have
been moved to ever greater respect for the Christian community of Russia, as
together you have sought to bring spiritual comfort to the families of the
brave sailors who gave their lives in the Barents Sea. We join you in
praying that God might bring comfort to the grieving."
	The full text of Kirkpatrick's letter:

	"I write to express my personal condolences and those of the Presbyterian
Church (USA) over the enormous loss that you and the entire Russian people
have sustained. The tragic loss of the 118 brave and mostly young men who
made up the crew of the Kursk touches us all.
	"At this time of immense grief, there is nothing anyone can say that can
take away the pain. I only hope you know that Presbyterians in the United
States, like all people of good will everywhere, are thinking of you and
lifting up the crew of the Kursk and their families and you, dear brother in
Christ, in prayer to God.
	"As we in the United States have watched and read reports of this great
tragedy, we have been moved to ever greater respect for you personally and
for the priests and laity of your church as together you have sought to
bring spiritual comfort to the families of the brave sailors who gave their
lives in the Barents Sea. We join you in praying that God might bring
comfort to the grieving. We pray also that this great tragedy and the
ministry of your church might help all of us who trust in the Name of Jesus
Christ to renew our faith in the Triune God and, in God's sovereign plan, to
come closer to each other.
	"At this time of great loss, I hope you know that I and the entire
Presbyterian Church are praying with you and stand ready to respond if there
is any way you might decide to call upon us.

Most sincerely yours,