From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Questions Remain After World Religions Summit

From APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com
Date 02 Sep 2000 00:31:05

September 2, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD

Questions Remain After World Religions Summit:
World Peace Or One World Order?

New York, NY, USA.      Meeting in New York August
28-31, the Millennium World Peace Summit of
Religious and Spiritual Leaders brought together
over 1,000 leaders of many faiths to debate current
challenges and to plan towards a proposed
International Advisory Council of Religious and
Spiritual Leaders that would provide a religious
voice at the United Nations.

Though the Summit was truly a momentous event and
provided a unique and historic opportunity for
inter-faith dialogue, questions remain over the
choice of delegates and the Summit's agenda and
purpose.

UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan in his address to
the Summit on August 29 called for a recognition of
the importance of religion and the need to defend
religious freedoms.

"Religion helps us find our place in the cosmos; it
knits families and communities together; it endows
individuals with compassion and morality," said
Annan. "Religious practices and beliefs are among
the phenomena that define us as human. So let us
today, from this great center of global community,
reaffirm every man and woman's fundamental right to
freedom of religion: to worship; to establish and
maintain places of worship; to write, publish and
teach; to celebrate holidays, to choose their own
religious leaders, and to communicate with others at
home and abroad. Where religions and their adherents
are persecuted, defamed, assaulted or denied due
process, we are all diminished, our societies
undermined. There must be no room in the 21st
century for religious bigotry and intolerance."

Similarly the Vatican representative, Cardinal
Francis A. Arinze, president of the Pontifical
Council for Interreligious Dialogue, pointed to the
need to work together for religious harmony.

"Collaboration between people of all the religions
of the world is needed for the proper motivation of
hearts and consciences. Pope John Paul II gives a
personal example as a promoter of reconciliation and
harmony between peoples of different religions,
cultures and languages. The promotion of peace is
part and parcel of what it means to be a Catholic."

In a written statement, Pope John Paul II said that
"It is a sign of hope when religious and spiritual
leaders can say to the world with one voice that
peace is possible, that peace is our sacred duty,
that peace is the future willed by God. I assure all
the participants that I am spiritually close to them
as they seek to promote the good of the whole human
family."

Many other speakers shared similar viewpoints on the
need for tolerance, condemning anti-religious
violence and persecution. Dr. Han Wenzao, president
of the state-run China Christian Council spoke of
the need for peace and understanding, even as the
organization Human Rights Without Frontiers was
reporting on a new government crackdown on
Christians in China.

The "China question" was at the heart over the
controversial decision by the Summit organizers not
to invite the Dalai Lama, Tibetan Buddhist spiritual
leader now in exile in India. The decision-made to
avoid antagonizing the Beijing government-was
eventually reversed after pressure from religious
groups, at which point the Dalai Lama responded that
he did not wish to attend in such a situation.

Other religious groups were absent from the Summit,
including a number who did not receive any
invitation. Significant among the uninvited were
evangelical and Protestant churches, including the
Southern Baptists, as well as the 11-million member
Seventh-day Adventist Church, a well known Christian
World Communion.

Some delegates questioned the composition of the
Summit, and also its agenda and purpose, pointing to
what seemed to be an imbalance in representation.
Others took issue with the lack of true debate and
discussion in terms of drafting statements and
declarations, as well as the role and function of
the proposed International Advisory Council of
Religious and Spiritual Leaders to the United
Nations.

Problems debated at the Summit included the impact
of religion in the Balkan conflicts, Ethiopia and
Eritrea, the Sudan, and Nigeria; inter-religious
conflict in Central Asia; poverty and debt
reduction; religion and the environment; and the
role of religion in world affairs.

"This Summit of religious leaders, held before the
Millennium Summit of world leaders next week, is a
defining moment for the humanity of the world,"
commented Rabbi Arthur Schneier of the Appeal of
Conscience Foundation.

"This is a key event in the United Nations decade of
culture and dialogue between nations," added Russian
mufti Ravil Gainutdin.

"It will be interesting to see in what way the UN
can respond," said the Rev. Dr Hans Ucko, executive
secretary of the World Council of Churches' (WCC)
team on Interreligious Relations and Dialogue, on
the final day of the Millennium World Peace Summit
of Religious and Spiritual Leaders.

Ucko noted that holding the first two days of the
gathering in the General Assembly Hall of the UN
headquarters was a unique development. "We have
prayed in their house. This shows the eagerness of
the followers of the different religions to support
the UN." But, despite the support given to the
summit by UN secretary-general Kofi A. Annan, the
attitude of the UN as a whole to the religious
community remains uncertain, Ucko said.

The World Council of Churches had accepted an
invitation for its general secretary, the Rev. Dr
Konrad Raiser, to address the summit and had
supplied names of people from its constituency who
might be invited to participate. "We couldn't be
absent from a gathering of this kind," Ucko said.

The Rev. Dr Konrad Raiser, general secretary of the
World Council of Churches (WCC), told the gathering
of religious leaders that he hoped they would "deny
the sanction of religion to those who seek to make
it a tool of violence".

"All true religion wills justice, peace and
harmony," he said to an international interreligious
audience which filled the UN General Assembly Hall.
"Yet, as we engage here in dialogue, we are
conscious of the facct that wars are being fought in
many parts of the world appealing to the name of
religion."

Raiser said summit participants were gathering at a
time of movement away from "an age of secularism
which tended to despise religion", and when people
were again looking to religion as a source of
spiritual values. But religion continues to suffer
misuse by powerful people "whose interests have
little to do with religion, faith or the
spirituality of believers," he said.

In a passage that drew applause, he lamented "the
lack of civil courage and statesmanship of many
government leaders who have been more concerned
about the preservation of national self-interests -
and often their own personal privileges - than for
the collective interests of the peoples of the
United Nations".

"We must know and respect each other, and talk to
each other," said Archbishop of Newark, Theodore E.
McCarrick. "In our different religious traditions we
have the answer to conflicts. We are brothers and
sisters in God's human family. Religious leaders
must be courageous, must speak out when it is
difficult to do so, and must remain faithful to
God."

Prepared in advance by the organizing committee and
revised only slightly during the meeting, a summit
declaration entitled "Commitment to Global Peace"
appealed to people of all religious traditions "to
cooperate in building peaceful societies, to seek
mutual understanding through dialogue where there
are differences, to refrain from violence, to
practise compassion and to uphold the dignity of all
life."

Ucko described the declaration as "quite good" and
commended its tone. However, he felt the summit
would have benefited from a broader constituency
base. The WCC had not been invited to help organize
it, and has accepted no role in its follow-up.

According to Ucko, plans to set up a steering
committee to create an interreligious body that
would seek to bring religious thinking and interests
into relationship with UN peace efforts are
premature. An indication of what the UN expects from
the religious community, and what possibilities the
UN has for using already established resources are
needed first. The UN might well rely, Ucko said, on
an established body such as the World Conference on
Religion and Peace (WCRP), an interreligious agency
based at the Church Center for the UN, directly
across the street from the UN's New York
headquarters.

Ucko said the summit came at a time when the WCC is
thinking about how to respond to "the many
interreligious initiatives that are taking place".
There is a growing push for action in this area, and
the WCC will hold a consultation on this subject
next year, he reported.

"Religion can provide the vision and unleash the
spiritual energy necessary to guide humanity to a
New World Order worthy of its destiny," stated Dr.
Albert Lincoln, Secretary-General of the Baha'i
International Community.

Religious leaders signed a declaration committing
themselves to global peace, declaring all religions
equal and recognizing equality between women and
men. The document, titled, "Commitment to Global
Peace,'' condemns all violence committed in the name
of religion and has been signed by the 1,000 envoys
before they ended their four-day meeting.

The Summit concluded with a ceremony of "sharing of
the waters from around the world," together with
many commitments to continued discussion and
dialogue between religious faiths. (267/2000)