From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventists Encouraged by UN Call for Partnership

From APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com
Date 02 Sep 2000 00:31:07

August 28, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD

Adventists Encouraged by UN Call for Partnership

New York, N.Y., U.S.A.        Representatives of the
Seventh-day Adventist Church attending a top-level
conference at the United Nations on August 28 said
they were encouraged by the UN Secretary-General's
call for partnership with civil organizations.

During his speech to 1,800 delegates meeting in the
main General Assembly hall at UN headquarters in New
York, Secretary-General Kofi Annan called for
"partnerships strong enough to make sure that the
global market is embedded in broadly shared values
and practices that reflect global needs.

"Whether your main activity is helping set policy at
the global level, or working directly to help
people; whether you work primarily in the developed
or developing world; whether your concern is the
advancement of women or education, human rights,
humanitarian assistance or health - you have shown,
time and again, a courage and a vision that we must
all admire. You are our partners in every sense of
the word. Your voices will be heard, I promise you
that."

Dr. Jonathan Gallagher, UN liaison director for the
Adventist Church and leader of the Adventist
delegation, expressed appreciation for the
Secretary-General's call.

"We're encouraged by the approach that recognizes
the great contributions that are being made by non-
governmental organizations," said Gallagher. "More
and more, world challenges are being met by
religious and humanitarian groups motivated to care
for those who are less advantaged. The Adventist
church is committed to wide-ranging practical
programs of health, education, and humanitarian aid,
as well as defending human rights and religious
liberty. Our presence here endorses our commitment
to help in whatever area we can, making direct
contributions to combat such problems as illiteracy,
poverty, hygiene, food and water shortages, together
with meeting spiritual needs and promoting freedom
of conscience." (250/2000)