From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

World Religious Summit Brings Mixed Responses

From APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com
Date 02 Sep 2000 00:34:13

September 2, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD

World Religious Summit Brings Mixed Responses

New York, NY, USA.     The Millennium World Peace
Summit of Religious and Spiritual Leaders meeting in
New York August 28-31 has brought mixed responses.

While many have applauded the opportunity for inter-
faith dialogue with over 1,000 leaders of many
faiths present, concerns remain over the agenda and
composition of the Summit, reports Jonathan
Gallagher, United Nations Liaison director for the
Seventh-day Adventist Church.

"Though the Summit is not an official UN event, it
has support from the organization," says Gallagher.
"The UN Secretary-General's recognition of the
importance of religion is welcomed, as is his
emphasis on the right to freedom of religion."

Secretary-General Kofi Annan said in his address to
the Summit on August 29 that religion is "a realm of
extraordinary power."

"Religion helps us find our place in the cosmos; it
knits families and communities together; it endows
individuals with compassion and morality," said
Annan. "Whether one believes without question or
wrestles with doubt; whether one is part of a
religious community or worships in the privacy of
the soul, religious practices and beliefs are among
the phenomena that define us as human."

But religious rights need to be defended, said
Annan.

"So let us today, from this great center of global
community, reaffirm every man and woman's
fundamental right to freedom of religion: to
worship; to establish and maintain places of
worship; to write, publish and teach; to celebrate
holidays, to choose their own religious leaders, and
to communicate with others at home and abroad.

Where religions and their adherents are persecuted,
defamed, assaulted or denied due process, we are all
diminished, our societies undermined. There must
be no room in the 21st century for religious bigotry
and intolerance."

Yet the practicalities of how to achieve this
remains a matter of debate, says Gallagher.

"Some representatives voiced concern over the agenda
of the Summit and its purpose. More specifically,
delegates questioned why a number of Christian
groups-including the world-wide Seventh-day
Adventist Church-had not been invited, and what were
the intentions of the funders. Other concerns
centered on what role would be played by the
proposed International Advisory Council of
Religious and Spiritual Leaders. Any attempt to work
towards a kind of "unified world religion" or single
religious voice-as some are proposing-would be
doomed to failure," Gallagher concludes.

Although the meetings were held at the UN's New York
headquarters, the official summit sponsors include
Ted Turner's United Nations Foundation, Better World
Fund and others.

The US media mogul Ted Turner received an
enthusiastic response despite his often irreverent
remarks. "What disturbed me is that my religious
Christian sect was very intolerant,'' he said. "We
thought that we were the only ones going to
heaven.'' It just confused the devil out of me
because I said heaven is going to be a might empty
place with nobody else there. So I was pretty
confused and turned off by it,'' Turner said.'

It is particularly ironic, noted a recent Associated
Press (AP) article, that Robert Edward (Ted) Turner
III is involved, as he was once told a Dallas
Morning News reporter that Christianity is "a
religion for losers." And "I don't want anybody
[i.e., Jesus Christ] to die for me."

According to US media reports Turner's financial
support for UN activities threatens to exert undue
influence over UN policy and international
relations. As is typical for the outspoken
billionaire, the activities funded by Turner's
foundation are controversial and even raise serious
human rights concerns.

However, Turner's personal politics may not be the
only driving force behind the UN Foundation. Clinton
administration officials and others who advocate
more UN funding may see Ted Turner's United Nations
Foundation as a way to support activities not
currently funded by UN member states, especially the
U.S. (266/2000)