From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

People of Faith Have Public Responsibility

From APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com
Date 02 Sep 2000 00:48:31

August 20, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD

People of Faith Have Public Responsibility, Says
Adventist Legislator

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.      Seventh-day Adventist
politician David Pendleton says there is room for
more involvement by church members in the public
realm. "Adventists have a unique contribution to
make to public dialogue and to public service-
especially in areas such as social justice, health
care and care for the homeless," says Pendleton, who
points to the church's long history of activism
against smoking and its emphasis on humanitarian
concerns.

As Minority Floor Leader in the Hawaii House of
Representatives, Pendleton, 34, believes that
Adventist Christians should not "get so caught up in
the 'coming kingdom of justice' that we neglect
public issues of social justice in the here and
now."

Pendleton, a Republican, is aware of the inevitable
dangers of the partisan political process. "I always
look at both sides of an issue, and I always vote on
conscience-even when it goes against traditional
Republican stances," says Pendleton, who draws a
distinction between "everyday political give-and-
take," and issues that can be decided only by
reference to "rock-solid principles."

A person considering a political career, says
Pendleton, needs to "understand who they are, what
their beliefs are, and have a strong sense of
values-otherwise they will be compromised by the
system [because] the pressures are so great."

Pendleton says he hopes his work demonstrates that
the phrase "Adventist politician" is not a
contradiction in terms. "We need more Daniels, more
Esthers, more Josephs."

Pendleton, who earned a master of arts degree in
theology from Loma Linda University before enrolling
at the University of Southern California law school,
is also a leader of the Adventist Church in Hawaii.
He heads up the communication, special ministries,
community services and public affairs and religious
liberty departments, as well as functioning as in-
house counsel.

"The Bible tells us, in Micah, that as Christians we
are called to lives of public service-to do justice,
and to love kindness and to walk humbly with our
God," says Pendleton. The proper relationship
between church and state is another area in which
Adventists have a distinctive and important message,
he adds.

Pendleton has served in the Hawaii legislature since
1996.   In an unprecedented move, the Republican
caucus elected Pendleton House Minority Whip in the
second year of his freshman term.

As House Floor Minority leader, he currently holds
the number two position in the
Hawaii House Republican Caucus. (242/2000)