From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventist "Spiritual & Material Investment" in Malawi

From APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com
Date 02 Sep 2000 00:49:46

August 20, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD

Ambassador Praises Adventist Church's "Spiritual and
Material" Investment in Malawi

Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S.A.      Calling the
relationship between Malawi and the Seventh-day
Adventist Church "unique and strong," Ambassador
Tony Kandiero, Malawi's ambassador to the United
States, thanked the Adventist Church for its
contribution of education, health and humanitarian
aid to his country. Ambassador Kandiero's remarks
came during a visit to the Adventist Church world
headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland, on
August 8, where he met with church leaders.

"Without the church's investment in our country,
both materially and spiritually, many of our people
would have died from lack of medicine," said
Ambassador Kandiero. "Thank you, on behalf of my
country."  He called the programs of the Adventist
Development and Relief Agency International "a
concrete example of the kind of operation that
exists to benefit our country."

Responding to the Ambassador's comments, Pastor Jan
Paulsen, president of the Adventist Church
worldwide, said that health care, education
initiatives and development aid are integral to the
Church's work in Malawi and around the world.
"These are not values that are dragged reluctantly
along behind us," said Paulsen.  "They are at the
front and center of our mission, important pillars
in everything we do.  We are very deliberate--keenly
interested--in enhancing the quality of life of
the people we serve.  This, we believe, is an act of
obedience to God."

Malawi, located in eastern Africa, shares borders
with Tanzania, Zambia and Mozambique. The country
gained independence from Great Britain in 1964 and
now operates as a parliamentary democracy.  "With
great pride, I can say that, in spite of poverty,
our country enjoys political stability," said
Ambassador Kandiero.

Calling the social and economic challenges facing
Malawi "enormous," the Ambassador acknowledged that
the urgent needs of his country's more than 10
million residents cannot be met by the government of
Malawi alone.	He referred to specific challenges
facing Malawi, including the country's international
debts, high rates of HIV/AIDS, lack of technological
and social infrastructure, and the need for a more
inclusive education system.  According to 1999 U.S.
government statistics, average life expectancy in
Malawi is 36.3 years, and only around 55 percent of
the population over the age of 15 can read and
write.

"Against this background, we value the kind of
relationship we have had with the Adventist Church--
a relationship that has allowed us to move forward
together for the benefit of the people," said
Ambassador Kandiero.

Unlike other African nations such as Nigeria or
Rwanda, Malawi is noted for its lack of religiously
motivated violence and the generally harmonious
relations between its Protestant, Roman Catholic,
Muslim and indigenous religious populations.

"In a very profound way, Malawi is a God-fearing
country; this is at the forefront of our political
thinking," said Ambassador Kandiero. "But we believe
very firmly that this is 'God-fearing' in the sense
that each of our citizens personally understand the
concept of God."

Malawi has a commitment to the ideal of individual
human rights, said Ambassador Kandiero, and this is
evidenced both in their constitutional provision for
religious freedom, and in the day-to-day operation
of the government which is based on the "rule of law
and good government practices."

The Adventist Church has been active in Malawi since
1924, and there are currently about half a million
Malawian Adventist Christians, including more than
160,000 baptized adult Adventist church members,
worshiping in 550 churches and companies.  The
Adventist Church in Malawi also operates four
schools, more than 20 hospitals, clinics and
dispensaries, and one publishing house. (238/2000)