From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Myanmar: Church Growth Despite Obstacles

From APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com
Date 02 Sep 2000 00:50:46

August 20, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD

Increased Hardship, Continued Growth for Adventist
Church in Myanmar

Yangon, Myanmar.       The Seventh-day Adventist
Church in Myanmar (Burma) continues to grow despite
obstacles including rules about holding public
meetings and publishing new materials, according to
a veteran pastor.

"It's getting harder and harder for Christians,"
said Pastor Nelson Hla Pe, an Adventist pastor in
Myanmar. "It's getting more difficult to conduct
city and village [evangelistic] efforts."

The Myanmar government requires prior approval for
public meetings including the names and
identification numbers of all participants, a
tedious process, said Hla Pe. The government usually
prohibits outdoor meetings of more than five people,
including religious meetings, according to the U.S.
Department of State. "We can visit door-to-door as
friends," Hla Pe explained. "But we cannot move so
freely as 10 to 15 years ago when it was more
flexible." Myanmar has been criticized for its open
discrimination against minority religious groups.
The majority of its citizens practice Buddhism; only
four percent are Christians.

Hla Pe explains that he can, with caution, visit
individuals and offer information about Adventism
instead of trying to arrange large gatherings. Even
though the friendships formed during these informal
visits often lead to an interest in religion, they
take a significant amount of time, he added.

Adventists have also experienced difficulty in
obtaining permission to print publications with
indigenous-language translations of Bible texts.
They now face a problem that may not have an
immediate solution since much of their outreach
relies on their publications.

"We are very careful," Hla Pe said about his
outreach methods. "Some people are not interested.
We should be wise enough to not go so abruptly to
them." Hla Pe speaks from 29 years of experience. He
currently divides his time between two Adventist
organizations, the Voice of Prophecy Bible
Correspondence School and Adventist World Radio.

These challenges have not hindered Hla Pe's efforts,
and he estimates that the church in Myanmar grew by
about 1500 members last year.

The Adventist Church has operated in this
Southeastern Asia country, located between
Bangladesh and Thailand, since 1919. There are
currently 50,000 Adventist Christians, including
22,000 baptized adult members,  worshipping in 200
churches and companies. (244/2000)