From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Moyers will pull shroud aside, cast light on death

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 07 Sep 2000 07:44:29

Note #6185 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

7-September-2000
00323

Moyers will pull shroud aside, cast light on death

PBS series starting Sept. 10 is commended by PC(USA) officials

by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE -- Presbyterians involved in health ministries are touting a new
Public Broadcasting System (PBS) series hosted by Bill Moyers on end-of-life
issues.
	On Our Own Terms: Moyers on Dying premiers Sunday, Sept. 10, and will air
on consecutive nights through Sept. 13 from 9 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. (EDT). The
four-part series will explore the American culture's response to death and
dying, care for the dying, pain management, grief, the impact of new
technologies and related ethical dilemmas and the many choices Americans may
face.
	Officials of the Office of Health Ministries, USA say the series
complements the 1988 General Assembly policy, Life Abundant: Values, Choices
and Health Care, which encourages church members to "care for the dying and
their families through the establishment of hospices and other
congregational ministries of counseling and support."
	"We are glad that the Moyers special will address many of the issues that
the church believes are important at the end of life," says Joe Small,
coordinator for the Office of Theology and Worship.
	Presbyterians can learn more about what the church has to say about death
and dying in the study guide, In Life and in Death We Belong to God. This
resource is available by calling 1-800-524-2612 and asking for PDS#
70-420-95-100.
	PBS also provides a number of companion resources on its web page:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/onourownterms. You can obtain copies of a discussion
guide by sending a written request to Moyers Guide, P.O. Box 245, Little
Falls, New Jersey 07424-0245; or by calling 1-800-257-5126.