From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Congregations Honor People Living with Mental Illness

From news@ELCA.ORG
Date 12 Sep 2000 13:44:52

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

September 12, 2000

LUTHERAN CONGREGATIONS HONOR PEOPLE LIVING WITH MENTAL ILLNESS
00-215-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- In October, congregations of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
(LCMS) are asked to light a candle and say a prayer honoring or
remembering people who live with mental illness, said the Rev. Lisa T.
Cleaver, director for disability ministries and deaf ministry, ELCA
Division for Church in Society.
     The Lutheran Network on Mental Illness/Brain Disorders, a ministry
of the ELCA and LCMS, sponsors the Annual All-Lutheran Candelighting for
Mental Illness.  The network prepared a special "call to worship" and
prayer that congregations can use to begin worship services one Sunday
in October.
     "Last year we answered more than 300 requests by ELCA
congregations for the candlelighting material.  I am sure we will reach
that number again and will probably surpass it," said Cleaver.
     There are about 10,851 congregations in the ELCA and 6,145
congregations in the LCMS, across the United States and Caribbean.  The
materials invite other Christians and people of other faiths to use or
re-write the prayers.
     "As a caring community of believers, there are things that members
of congregations can do to help and support those who live with mental
illness," said Cleaver.
     "First, be supportive.  Mental illness can be very isolating.
Persons with mental illness need to be included in congregational life.
This support should also include the families of people with mental
illness.  They, too, live with this disease, even though it is
secondhand.  They also need our support, love and understanding," said
Cleaver.
     "Second, make an effort to get to know individuals with mental
illness as people.  People with mental illness are not only people with
a disease that many people are uncomfortable around.  They are some of
God's gifted people who have much to offer all of us.  We are all
created in the image of God.  We are all called by God.  We are all
loved by God.  Therefore, we are called by God to love and support all
God's people wherever and whenever we can," she said.
     "Finally, pray for people who live with mental illness every day
of their lives, for those who love them, for those who work to help them
and for those who struggle to understand and support them," said
Cleaver.
-- -- --
     The "call to worship" and prayer, as well as instructions on
ordering church bulletin inserts, are posted at
http://www.elca.org/dcs/candlelighting.html on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact: