From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

GILLIES NAMED ABC EXECUTIVE IN NEBRASKA

From RICH.SCHRAMM@ecunet.org
Date 13 Sep 2000 07:37:52

AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS SERVICE
Office of Communication
American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Web: www.abc-usa.org
Richard W. Schramm, Director
 E-mail: richard.schramm@abc-usa.org

GILLIES CALLED AS EXECUTIVE MINISTER
OF AMERICAN BAPTIST CHURCHES OF NEBRASKA
 Susan E. Gillies, deputy executive director of
National Ministries, American Baptist Churches USA, has been
elected by the American Baptist Churches of Nebraska as
regional executive minister.  Gillies, a commissioned
American Baptist home missionary, will assume the position
at the region office in Omaha on Nov. 6.
 Stanley Jensen, who chaired the search committee for
the Nebraska region, shared his perspective on the region's
decision:  "We are excited about the successful completion
of our search resulting in the selection of a person with
the stature of Susan Gillies.  We were looking for someone
with a sense of God's call who has strong experience in
leadership, strategic planning, conflict resolution and
communication.  Susan also has deep roots in Nebraska and
understands the culture here."
 Nebraska is one of 34 regional ministry organizations
related to American Baptist Churches USA.  Gillies, who has
served for 13 years on the national denominational staff, is
a native of Nebraska.
 Susan Gillies joined National Ministries as director
of Ministry of the Laity in the Workplace in 1987 and was
appointed deputy executive director in 1991.  She is a
corporate officer of the American Baptist Home Mission
Society and the Woman's American Baptist Home Mission
Society, which comprise the Board of National Ministries.
Gillies has been a member of National Ministries' leadership
team and a geographical ministry team leader.  Most recently
she has coordinated and monitored National Ministries
progress toward the achievement of the denomination's NEW
LIFE 2010 goals--1,010 new churches, 1,000,010 new
Christians, a multitude of caring ministries and the
transformation of American Baptist congregations by the year
2010.
 Dr. Aidsand F. Wright-Riggins III, National Minstries'
executive director, noted Gillies' "commitment to American
Baptist congregations and mission in the United States and
Puerto Rico."
 "Susan Gillies is one of the great home missionaries
of our era," he said.  "I have been privileged to work with
her these years and will surely miss her daily presence and
contribution but look forward to a vital and continued
partnership as she moves to a different spot on the mission
field."
 Gillies' experience in American Baptist denominational
life includes service on the General Executive Council, the
board of managers for American Baptist Women's Ministries,
the board of the American Baptist Assembly, Green Lake,
Wis., and the board of the University of Sioux Falls, S.D.
 Prior to joining National Ministries Gillies was
general manager of public radio stations KFJM and KFJM-FM in
Grand Forks, N.D.  She also was a communications faculty
member at Eastern Kentucky University, the University of
Sioux Falls and Wayne State College.  Gillies holds a
master' degree from the University of Memphis and a
bachelor's degree from the University of Sioux Falls.  In
1999 she completed a certificate program in non-profit
management through the University of Wisconsin.

WFN913B

 -0-