From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

St. Olaf College Names Thomforde President

From news@ELCA.ORG
Date 14 Sep 2000 15:46:37

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

September 14, 2000

ST. OLAF COLLEGE NAMES THOMFORDE PRESIDENT
00-218-JB*

     NORTHFIELD, Minn. -- The St. Olaf College Board of Regents named
the Rev. Christopher M. Thomforde, current president of Bethany College,
as its 10th president, succeeding Dr. Mark U. Edwards, Jr.  Thomforde's
appointment was announced here Sept. 12.
     St. Olaf College and Bethany College, Lindsborg, Kan., are higher
education institutions of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA).
     Edwards, who has served as St. Olaf president for six years, plans
to leave Oct. 1. Thomforde will assume his new role Jan. 15, 2001.  The
Rev. Martin E. Marty, Riverside, Ill., will serve as acting president in
the interim.   Marty is chair of the St. Olaf College Board of Regents.
     Thomforde, an ELCA pastor, was named following an extensive
national search.  Since 1996, he has served as president of Bethany.
Previously he served for 10 years as chaplain of Susquehanna University
in Selinsgrove, Penn., an ELCA institution.  He has also served as a
parish pastor and taught at Tunghai University in Taiwan.
     "We are delighted that Chris Thomforde has agreed to lead St. Olaf
into its second 125 years," Marty said. "I am told by the search
committee that we were blessed with a number of extraordinary
candidates, which I think speaks well of the St. Olaf community.  He
will bring energy, experience and passion to his new position."
     "Chris is the embodiment of the St. Olaf mission," Marty added.
"As a college committed to the liberal arts, rooted in the Christian
Gospel, and incorporating a global perspective, St. Olaf will be well
served by his gifts and experience."
     "Chris absolutely delights in people," said Jerrol Tostrud, St.
Olaf alumnus, regent and chair of the search committee.  "He is a
full-speed-ahead person who has a passion for higher education and a
passion for his Christian beliefs that is truly contagious. We are very
fortunate to have him joining the St. Olaf community."
     Thomforde said leaving Bethany College was a "very difficult
decision" for both him and his wife, Christine.
     "However, we truly felt called to serve at St. Olaf and we can't
wait to meet new friends and get to work at fulfilling the mission of
St. Olaf College," Thomforde said.
     Born in Cleveland, Ohio, Thomforde graduated from Long Island
Lutheran High School in 1965 and was awarded an A.B. degree in Medieval
and Russian History from Princeton University in 1969.  Following course
work in Mandarin Chinese at Middlebury College, he was an instructor in
Western Languages and Medieval European History at Tunghai University,
Taichung, Taiwan, R.O.C., until 1971.
     Thomforde attended Yale University Divinity School and received a
master of divinity in 1974.  While at Yale he was residence and program
director of the International Student Center of New Haven and a
part-time forester with Conwood, Inc. in Rockfall, Conn.
     Thomforde attended Colgate University in Hamilton, N.Y., in 1974
and served as assistant chaplain and instructor in philosophy and
religion until 1978.  While at Colgate he served as advisor to foreign
students, chaired the Commission on Athletics and was coordinator of
student activities for the Colgate Advance Placement Summer Session.
     From 1978 to 1986 he was pastor at St. Paul Lutheran Church in
Dansville, N.Y. While there, he held leadership roles in regional and
synodical church affairs, and was active in community organizations.
His work included service at nearby Attica prison.  In 1986 he was named
Citizen of the Year in Dansville.
     Susquehanna University called him as chaplain in 1986.  He also
taught in the Department of Philosophy and Religion and was a member of
the Susquehanna president's senior administrative team.
     During his tenure as president of Bethany, Thomforde completed a
doctor of ministry at Princeton Theological Seminary.
     Christine Thomforde is a registered nurse and accomplished
cellist. The Thomfordes have three grown children.
-- -- --