From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

"God, Rice and Tea" nourishes young Asian-American Episcopalians

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 21 Sep 2000 09:25:55

2000-131

http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

"God, Rice and Tea" nourishes young Asian-American Episcopalians

by Jan Nunley

     (ENS) "God, Rice, and Tea," the first national Episcopal gathering for
Asian-American young adults, was "a great success," according to organizers of
the event. The three-day conference, held August 24-27 in San Jose, California,
was sponsored by the Episcopal Asiamerica Ministry, part of the Congregational
Ministries office at the Episcopal Church Center.

     "From most participants I talked to, it exceeded their expectation," said
the Rev. Fred Vergara, chaplain to the conference and vicar of Holy Child, San
Jose, one of the Bay Area's growing Filipino-American churches. "Asian-American
young adults had a chance to meet each other in the context of fellowship and
learning."

     Vergara led a workshop on time management, aimed at helping participants
"have a sense of the future and how they wish to order their lives to contribute
meaningfully to both the church and society." He also introduced the gathering to
what he called a "Christian-Episcopalian Tai Chi."

Asian? American? Episcopalian?

     One of the most valuable workshops, said Vergara, was on the thorny question
of integrating an Asian-American identity with that of a Christian and an
Episcopalian. "The workshop enabled us to look deeper into our feelings and
insights on what really constitute our mixed identity," Vergara reported.
Participants in the workshop were asked to decide where they would place
themselves on a scale of identity--left side, more American than Asian; right
side, more Asian than American.

     "Most of us, including myself, put ourselves in the center, trying to speak,
act, think and live in the American context but at the same time trying to
preserve our Asian roots and heritage and culture. Most of us feel that
'bridging' the two cultural banks is close to the Anglican via media--more
'both/and,' rather than 'either/or,'" Vergara added.

     "A consistent thread of our workshops and discussions was that we needed to
identify these identities and really examine and learn more about them simply
because they are a major part of who we are," said Vivian Lam, a member of the
conference planning team. "I don't feel that we approached it as identities to
'maintain' so much as identities to uncover and embrace."

     Those identities are more varied than many suppose, said Lam, embracing
cultures as diverse as those of India, China, Japan, Southeast Asia, the
Philippines, Malaysia, and Hawaii. "The term 'Asian-American' could mean anything
from a person of Asian heritage whose family has been here for several
generations, to a new immigrant from Asia who is now living in America," she
pointed out. "And just the fact that, no matter what your race or ethnic
background, people are complex individuals who are difficult to pin down. Not to
mention that 'young' covers an incredibly wide age range of people in different
life stages."

Multicultural or "market segmentation"?

     At the final night's "YA Forum," Vergara recalled, there was some discomfort
with a suggestion by a facilitator to talk about issues of sexuality. "Asian-
American youth seem to want to discuss sex outside of a large-group context," he
observed.

     After a break, the group decided to discuss the question of what makes many
Asian-American young adults turn away from the church. "There were many
interesting answers," he said. "Some said that there seems no space for them,
both physically and culturally." The atmosphere and music in most congregations
reflects "elderly values." "They also reckoned with the fact that church life
seems to be similar to work and school," with very little of the entertainment
value of activities in the secular world. "The incorporation of Asian elements in
worship was actually touched upon in our opening community activity--a
demonstration of a traditional Japanese tea ceremony, and some discussion on its
links to Eucharist and spirituality," reported Lam.

     While looking to multiculturalism as the future of the Church, Vergara
reported, the group also embraced the idea of "market segmentation: reaching out
to 'unchurched' Asian-Americans by creating Asian-friendly congregations."

     "This is our first event for Asian-American young adults." said the Rev.
Winston Ching, the Episcopal Church's officer for Asiamerica Ministry. "We have
had a very successful program for Asian-American youth and young adults for more
than 15 years, and felt that something was needed specifically for the older
group to keep them involved in the church."

     "My hope for future gatherings is simply that the community that was built
will continue to grow and be strengthened, and that God would continue to be at
the center of it all!" added Lam.

--The Rev. Jan Nunley is deputy director of the Episcopal Church's Office of News
and Information.