From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Division of Higher Education calls first director of

From wshuffit@oc.disciples.org
Date 21 Sep 2000 09:50:21

communications
>From nobody@wfn.org  Thu Sep 21 00:00:00 2000
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
Date: September 21, 2000
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org
E-mail: CWillis@oc.disciples.org

00a-50

ST. LOUIS (DNS) -- The Division of Higher Education of the Christian
Church (Disciples of Christ) has called Brad Lyons as its first director
of communications.

In the position Lyons will promote the relationship between congregations
and universities, theological institutions and campus ministries; raise
awareness among prospective students of Disciples higher education
partners; develop the affiliations between the church's regions and the
institutions they support; and produce information to help in fund
raising.

Fourteen universities and seven theological institutions in 12 states are
in covenant with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), serving
24,000 students.

"We need to do a better job of telling the congregations how their
resources are being used in the classrooms and in campus ministries," said
the Rev. Dennis Landon, president of the Division of Higher Education.
"There is a lot happening at institutions that we work with that our
congregations and the larger community of the church as a whole should
know.  Through their support and resources, the church's future leaders
are being trained on those campuses."

A native of Edmond, Okla., Lyons comes to DHE from the City of Maryland
Heights, Mo., where as public relations supervisor he oversaw several
municipal communications programs. He earned a bachelor's degree in
journalism from the University of Missouri-Columbia and spent four years
at newspapers in Oklahoma and a non-profit organization in the oil and gas
exploration industry.

For more information, contact Lyons at DHE's office in St. Louis at
314-991-3000, or by e-mail: blyons@dhedisciples.org.  Information on DHE
activities is available online at: www.dhedisciples.org.

                                                         -- end --