From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NJ CANDIDATES SHARE CHURCH AFFILIATION

From RICH.SCHRAMM@ecunet.org
Date 02 Oct 2000 08:12:19

AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS SERVICE
Office of Communication
American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Web: www.abc-usa.org
Richard W. Schramm, Director
 E-mail: richard.schramm@abc-usa.org

AMERICAN BAPTIST CHURCH IS HOME TO BOTH NEW JERSEY
SENATORIAL CANDIDATES
 While the high-profile contest for a U.S. Senate seat
in New Jersey between Republican Robert Franks and Democrat
Jon Corzine has tended to focus on political differences it
also has revealed a striking point of common ground--both
men attend Christ Church in Summit, a congregation dually
aligned with American Baptist Churches USA and the United
Church of Christ.
 The race, reportedly the most expensive in the history
of the Senate, has garnered national attention for, among
other reasons, the unprecedented number of campaign dollars
expended to promote each candidate's agenda.  A former Wall
Street executive, Corzine alone is said to have spent more
than $30 million of his own money during his primary
campaign.
 Immediately following the June primaries the Christ
Church congregation found itself thrust into a media
spotlight it may not have anticipated even several months
earlier.  The church, which will celebrate its 125th
anniversary next year and is one of the approximately 250
congregations in the American Baptist Churches of New
Jersey, is home to some 250 families and has an average
Sunday attendance of about 220.  Through all the external
attention, the church's pastor, the Rev. Charles Rush, has
kept congregants focused on their mission and ministries,
assuring them that "first and foremost my relationship to
them is that I'm their minister."
 Both candidates live in communities close to Summit, a
city of about 20,000 in Union County.  Corzine has been
attending the church for ten years, Franks about three.
Both have been described as moderate to liberal in political
outlook, and they credit the church's cultural and
theological diversity and its acceptance of differing
opinions with providing them with a community of faith in
which they can be comfortable.
 Both also give credit to Rush for his even-handed,
bipartisan and pastoral approach.  "There is no sense of
division [in the church].  It's a terrific church with a
terrific pastor and both candidates recognize that," Steven
Goldstein, Corzine's campaign co-manager, was quoted in the
Newark Star-Ledger as saying.
 Rush in turn commends the character of each candidate
and maintains that no matter which one is victorious in
November the state will be well served:  "Both are
idealists, men of great morals, and both are positive
people.  These are men you hope your kids will grow up to
become."
 "There can be a lot of integrity [in the political
process]; I've seen it in action," he added, crediting both
Corzine and Franks with showing consistent "genuine interest
and concern."
 Rush, who has gone to the extent of putting stickers
for each candidate on the back of his sport utility vehicle,
also was present to offer prayers as each launched his
campaign.
 He recalled a Communion Sunday last spring, when he
was flanked by Corzine and Franks.  "I had both of them on
either side of the Communion table during the Lord's Supper,
a rich symbol of what we are all about.  At that moment I
thought, we bring differences, but the point is we come
together."

WFN102A
 -0-