From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

An ironic twist to freedom for Nepal's indentured laborers

From FRANK.IMHOFF@ecunet.org
Date 02 Oct 2000 10:34:06

FEATURE: An ironic twist to freedom for Nepal's indentured laborers

DHANGADI, Nepal/GENEVA 29 September 2000 (LWI) - On 17 July 2000, the
Government of Nepal formally outlawed the practice of bonded labor, a
system that had trapped successive generations of poor and illiterate
families into indentured farm service.

Although the government decreed the indentured population (Kamaiya) to be
freed and all debts waived, the action has angered landlords and led to
mass displacement of Kamaiya, many of whom are now staying in temporary
transit camps or have remained on the landlord's property, hoping that the
authorities will provide assistance for resettlement.

Hundreds of Kamaiya are taking shelter in a temporary transit camp in
Dhangadi, Kailali district, an area where the field program of the Lutheran
World Federation (LWF) in Nepal has implemented several emergency projects.
Kailali is the worst affected of five districts where bonded laborers are
found. Lutheran World Service (LWS)-Nepal, also a member of Action by
Churches Together (ACT), a worldwide network of churches and related
agencies responding to human need, hopes to provide over 1,200 families
with support for their basic survival as well as assist with their early
resettlement.

Among the hundreds of Kamaiya in the camp is twenty-year-old mother of two,
Saraswoti Chaudary. Her story as told to Gopal Dahal of LWS- Nepal, is
similar to that of others for whom the new found freedom poses serious
questions of immediate and long term survival.

"It was six months ago. I was taking care of the landlord's cattle with my
youngest son on my back and my three year-old son alongside.  Without
warning, the cow stepped on my right foot. The pain was intense, and I
started bleeding heavily so I left for the hospital.  The wound was quite
deep so four to five stitches were needed and it cost Rs 384 (US $ 5.40)
for treatment, for which I had to take a loan from the landlord. After this
incident, my debt increased from Rs 4,000 to Rs 4,384 ($61)," Saraswoti
said.

"Due to my husband's disability (he has no fingers on one hand), I worked
as a Kamaiya to meet our family's needs. When I heard the news of the
Kamaiya Liberation, we came to the transit camp. However, the landlord
prevented my husband and two sons from accompanying me. It was only some
time after, with help provided by the Kamaiya organizations, that they were
able to join me. But we were allowed to carry away only a few personal
belongings."

Saraswoti said "we've been provided with a small 'hut' but without any
walls." Pointing to the blue tarpaulin serving as temporary shelter she
explained: "This was provided by an organization called Lutheran and was
brought from the DDC (District Development Committee) office." The mother
of two is worried that the camp has no proper water and sanitation
facilities. In addition, most families have no food or clothing. "Without
proper clothing, blankets or mats, my small children will find it very hard
when winter comes. I'm afraid they may fall ill."

As it was time to cook, she discussed with her husband in the Tharu
language (the indigenous ethnic group from the plains who comprise at least
95 percent of the bonded laborers). "We only have rice for today, nothing
else, how are we going to feed our sons? What about tomorrow?"

Saraswoti continued: "As Kamaiya, we could not send our children to school,
and the landlords abused us." She was silent for a moment, then went on:
"The Government has promised to provide land for Kamaiya. If things work
out, we would like to build a small house of our own. I want to learn new
things and develop skills so that we can support our sons to have a better
future. In any case, it is much brighter than ours."

Something else bothers her-the upcoming festival season, Dasain (the main
Hindu religious festival celebrated throughout Nepal). "Dasain is a major
festival for us. We celebrate by sacrificing a rooster and cooking roti (a
type of bread) in oil, while worshiping God. If we are unable to follow our
rituals, God will get angry and our family members will fall sick."

Despite all the hardships, Saraswoti and her husband are not about to lose
hope. "If the community gives us a chance, nothing is impossible," she
added.

(Edited from an article by Gopal Dahal, LWS-Nepal)
 -Photos available

(The LWF is a global communion of 131 member churches in 72 countries
representing over 59 million of the world's 63 million Lutherans. Its
highest decision making body is the Assembly, held every six or seven
years. Between Assemblies, the LWF is governed by a 49-member Council which
meets annually, and its Executive Committee. The LWF secretariat is located
in Geneva, Switzerland.)

[Lutheran World Information (LWI) is the information service of the
Lutheran World Federation (LWF). Unless specifically noted, material
presented does not represent positions or opinions of the LWF or of its
various units. Where the dateline of an article contains the notation
(LWI), the material may be freely reproduced with acknowledgment.]

Lutheran World Information
Assistant Editor, English: Pauline Mumia
E-mail: pmu@lutheranworld.org
http://www.lutheranworld.org/