From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Christian Schools create Prevention Center

From APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com
Date 07 Oct 2000 10:43:31

October 8, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Christian Schools Take an Innovative Approach to
Violence Prevention

Elkhart County, Michigan, USA - Andrews University,
Goshen College, and Associated Mennonite Biblical
Seminary have joined to create a center targeting
violence prevention here and around the world. The
center's direction will be determined by the schools
three presidents. Mary Yoder Holsopple who has worked in
two war zones and former director of the now defunct
Violence Intervention Project of 1998, will head up
this unique center.

The center will primarily be funded by a US$247,000 grant
from the Teagle Foundation along with some money from a
local group called Reaching Common Ground.

Peace-related issues will be researched at the university
by students majoring in social work. Sharon Pittman,
chairwoman of Andrews University's social work department
said in a publication, Truth,  that "mediation and
preventing violence take less time than dealing with the
problems violence creates."

Shirley Showalter, Goshen College president, said that
the center "will seek imaginative solutions to age-old
problems of violence. I hope it will become the kind of
ideal connection between the values, resources and vision
our three institutions have for peacemaking and the most
pressing needs of our community." (281/2000)