From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Call for an Open and Creative Adventist Church

From APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com
Date 07 Oct 2000 10:43:33

October 8, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Adventist Church President Calls for an Open and
Creative Church

Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - Addressing an
international gathering of church leaders, Pastor Jan
Paulsen, president of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
worldwide, identified "mission" and "unity" as the two
most formidable challenges facing the Adventist Church at
the beginning of  21st century.

Paulsen was speaking at the Adventist church's Annual
Council, a five-day meeting that convenes the highest
decision-making body of the Adventist Church outside a
full General Conference Session, which is held every
five years.

Reminding leaders that "there is no virtue in simply
remaining busy," Paulsen urged members of the General
Conference Executive Committee to keep the challenges of
"unity" and "mission" firmly in mind during their
deliberations and decision-making of the Annual Council.

In assessing and tackling challenges facing the church
today, Paulsen identified strategic planning as an
essential component in building  "a very intentional
design which enhances unity, stimulates growth, and
makes this church a better spiritual home for all."

Paulsen also emphasized the vital importance of
leadership training, which he said the world church has
defined as an area of urgent need. While acknowledging
that a formal Leadership Training unit at the General
Conference has been set up, Paulsen also challenged
church leaders present to model Adventist leadership.
This leadership, Paulsen said, is characterized by
"spiritual values," "a clearly defined mission" and
something more: a truly global perspective that is able
to transcend preoccupation with provincial interests and
"turf-protection."

"With such a mind-set leadership binds together rather
than scatters, looks out rather than in, shares rather
than hordes," said Paulsen. "Is not that, historically,
a pretty good description of how we have functioned in
mission as a church?"

Referring to an Annual Council agenda item proposing the
formation of a Council on Africa, Paulsen said that "the
time has come for us as a world body of leaders to ask:
Have we provided our best to care for the future of our
church family in Africa?" Citing the unprecedented
growth-some 500 percent-in church membership in Africa
over the last two decades, and the 500 percent growth
that is projected for the next decade, Paulsen said that
there must be consideration of ways to relieve the "huge
demands on infrastructures, institutions, pastorate and
leadership" in the region.

Paulsen also expressed his commitment to the newly formed
Council on Evangelism and Witness, which met for the
first time early this month. "Let the world church family
know that the General Conference is involved in and
actively pursuing evangelistic thinking and planning,"
said Paulsen, "and that we confess this to be our first
task as God's people in these last days."

Paulsen ended his talk by reminding those who do not work
at the General Conference that "it is not as though we
have everything pre-defined, cooked, and canned at this
place. We may sound like it at times, but really we do
not." Instead, Paulsen called on those present to "help
those of us who do work here to create services and
initiatives that fit into the life of the church as you
know it from your various corners of the globe."

"I pray that I and my colleagues will be young enough in
mind, ready to listen and learn," said Paulsen.

Annual Council brought together the more than 260 members
of the General Conference Executive Committee, who dealt
with the business of the world church. The committee is
composed of church administrators, pastors and laypeople
representing all 12 world divisions of the Adventist
Church. (277/2000)

[Note for editors: A transcript of Jan Paulsen's address
is available at www.adventist.org .]