From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventist Council on Evangelism and Witness

From APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com
Date 07 Oct 2000 10:44:35

October 8, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Adventist Council on Evangelism and Witness Meets: "The
Church's Primary Function is to Witness"

Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - The pivotal role of
evangelism in the life and mission of the Seventh-day
Adventist Church was reaffirmed as church leaders from
around the world met to explore new ways of sharing the
Adventist message of hope.

The inaugural meeting of the Council on Evangelism and
Witness, held September 18 and 19 at the world
headquarters of the Adventist Church, was significant on
a number of levels, says Pastor Mark Finley, an
evangelist and secretary of the Council.

Finley says "the very fact that there is a Council on
Evangelism and Witness at our church headquarters"
indicates the high priority placed on evangelism by
church leadership.

"There is a danger that after more than 150 years, the
Adventist Church could become institutionalized in its
approach to its mission," says Finley. But the meetings
provided "tangible evidence" to the contrary, he says, as
church leaders from around the world shared their passion
for evangelism and spoke about the challenges they face
in their regions.

Pastor Jan Paulsen, president of the Adventist Church
worldwide, has said that the "rationale for the setting
up of such a council is very simple.  The church's
primary function is to witness.  When that is
accomplished, we are useful to God.  If that function is
not accomplished, we may as a church be busy, innovative,
resourceful, and even ingenious, but not an instrument of
God's mission."

"We are living at a time when the growth of the church is
exploding," says Finley.  "And the more we grow, we have
to ask the question 'what more should we be doing to
fulfill our mission as a church?'"  To focus inward,
instead of outward, at this point would be a deadly
mistake, Finley adds.

Finley says that the initial meeting of the Council was
also important in establishing a level of "collegiality"
among members of the group, who came  from Australia,
Central and South America, Europe, Africa, and the United
States. Participants included pastors, church
administrators, evangelists and lay people.

Finley acknowledges that the members represent a vast
array of different cultures and environments. But he says
that the "diversity and variety enhanced the
productivity" of the group. "If, for instance, my
specialty is urban evangelism and I'm taken and put with
a group dealing with the challenges of the 10/40 window,*
it forces me to think out of the box, to think more
creatively," he says.

Urban evangelism, lay training, new technology, "reaching
unchurched people," were some of the areas studied by
small discussion groups formed by members on the second
day of the Council.  Future meetings will build on the
creative process started by the Council at this initial
gathering, says Finley. (287/2000)