From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Tunisian Delegation for Religious Freedom

From APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com
Date 07 Oct 2000 10:46:32

October 8, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Tunisian Delegation Emphasizes Religious Freedom

Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - During a recent visit to
the United States sponsored by the State Department, a
high-ranking delegation from the Tunisian Parliament
emphasized their country's commitment to religious
freedom.

The delegation visited the world headquarters of the
Seventh-day Adventist Church on September 15 at the
invitation of the International Religious Liberty
Association (IRLA). During that visit delegation
spokesperson Dr. Ismail Boulahia said that Tunisia had an
enviable record of religious freedom and toleration.

"We are known for our social cohesiveness, and tolerance
is reflected in the character of Tunisians," he said.
"Tunisia has never rejected any religion and is an oasis
of peace. The government of Tunisia has worked for the
freedom of women, for education, and for the country's
openness to the world. While we are proud of our Islamic
heritage, we are interested in working with all
religions."

As a result, said Boulahia, extremist organizations do
not pose a threat to the country and Tunisia plays an
important international diplomatic role, particularly in
religious dialogue in the Islamic world.

Dr. Bert B. Beach, president of IRLA, welcomed the
delegation, comprising seven members of the Chamber of
Deputies, and their words of commitment to religious
freedom.

"As an organization dedicated to the cause of religious
freedom we are appreciative of any positive and practical
developments that will increase freedom of conscience and
the fundamental human right to choose one's religion,"
said Beach. "We are conscious of the challenges posed in
some countries by religious extremism or fundamentalism,
especially those in which a majority faith is dominant,
and we welcome any increase of religious freedom through
dialogue and mutual understanding." (282/2000)