From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

We Should be "Our Brother's Keeper"

From APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com
Date 07 Oct 2000 10:49:33

October 8, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

We Should Be "Our Brother's Keeper" says Israeli Leader

Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - People of faith have a
responsibility to society that transcends the
individualistic philosophy of Western culture, said
Israel's deputy attorney general, Professor Nahum
Rakover, who visited the Seventh-day Adventist Church's
world headquarters on September 13.

"I think it's time to start emphasizing human duties
alongside human rights; the value of community as well as
autonomy," said Rakover at an informal meeting with
Adventist Church leaders.

Rakover, who has written extensively on Jewish and civil
law, says that we "should be concerned about the problems
of other people. We should be our 'brother's guardian.'
This is the essence of a just society." (289/2000)