From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

An Urgent Statement from the Reform Movement

From wfn@wfn.org
Date 10 Oct 2000 18:27:01

                    THOSE WHO REJECT PEACE INVITE VIOLENCE
                 An Urgent Statement from the Reform Movement
                      October 10, 2000/ 11 Tishrei 5761

Rabbi Eric H. Yoffie, President, Union of American Hebrew Congregations
Rabbi Charles Kroloff, President, Central Conference of American Rabbis
Rabbi Sheldon Zimmerman, President, Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute
of Religion
Rabbi Ammiel Hirsch, Executive Director, ARZA/WORLD UNION, North America
Ellen Y. Rosenberg, Executive Director, Women of Reform Judaism
Doug Barden, Executive Director, North American Federation of Temple
Brotherhoods
Rabbi Stanley T. Schickler, Executive Director, National Association of
Temple Educators
Fern Kamen, President, National Association of Temple Administrators

The tragic events in the Middle East have returned us to an earlier and
less hopeful time. Suddenly, as we begin a New Year that we had prayed
would bring peace to Israel and her neighbors, it is as if the last seven
years have been set aside, and we are once again bogged down in accusations
and recriminations, in violence and in fear.

There can be no doubt as to the root cause of the current violence. Two
weeks ago, Israel and the Palestinians were at the brink of peace. Chairman
Arafat stepped away from that brink, and now Israel and the Palestinians
are at the brink of war.

The hard truth of the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians is that
other choices have been whittled away, and what is now left is the simple
choice between war and peace. That being the case, we cannot comprehend why
it is that Chairman Arafat prefers war, why he has rejected an Israeli
proposal that goes so much farther than any observer had imagined Israel
would be prepared to go. There has never been, nor is there likely to be in
the near future, a prime minister more committed to peace making and more
courageous in his approach than Prime Minister Barak. Chairman Arafat's
reckless rejection of peace has created an ominous situation: even if the
parties return to the negotiating table, even if their negotiations produce
an agreement, it is no longer clear that Israelis would, in the planned
referendum, endorse the agreement. The fear and suspicion that events of
the past days have aroused will be difficult to overcome.

The seriousness of the present moment extends well beyond Ariel Sharon's
provocation; its source is Yasir Arafat's evasion. Sharon' s visit to the
Temple Mount may have been a match that lit a fuse, but the fuse,
unmistakably, was set by Arafat.

But it is not too late to resume the quest for peace. That quest will now
be more complicated than it was just days ago, but is more urgent as well.
As the late Prime Minister Yitzak Rabin so often warned, in the long-run, a
stable peace is the only way to prevent such strife, the only way to secure
Israel's strategic interests. We urge all the parties to return to the
negotiating table immediately.

First things first: an end to violence. Mr. Arafat may no longer have the
kind of control over the Palestinian community that would enable him to
prevent any violence, but he has sufficient control to make a major
difference in the level of violence. As supporters of the Peace Process, we
are acutely disappointed that, to this day, Chairman Arafat has not called
upon the Palestinians to cease rioting. Until he does so and the violence
stops, Israel has no partner with whom peace can be made. As to Israeli
forces, we are confident that they will act only in response to violence
and not as its initiator. In the face of stones and even live ammunition,
they have consistently shown remarkable restraint. Whatever the merits of
criticism that, in some cases, a resort to lethal force was made too
quickly, we urge the Israeli army and police to continue to use such force
only when there is no other option.

We express our grave concern for the three Israeli soldiers who were
kidnapped from the Israeli side of the Lebanese border. We call on those
holding them to release them unconditionally. We also urge international
relief agencies to ensure their welfare and to work to secure their
release.

We regret that these tragic events have also thrown us back to an earlier
period when Israel was subjected to international isolation at the United
Nations, and made the object of consistently one-sided resolutions of
condemnation. It was this treatment of Israel, along with other factors,
that rendered the UN suspect to many Americans. We are pained to see the
United Nations, which holds such promise, reverting to that practice today.

Finally, and most importantly, we call as well on the citizens of Israel,
Arab and Jew alike, to refrain from further violence between neighbor and
neighbor. No aspect of the current unrest is more disturbing, indeed more
ominous. The sporadic instances of Jewish grass-roots violence against Arab
targets have been strongly condemned by Prime Minister Barak and are
irreconcilable with Jewish values and Israel's interests. As to the far
more widespread violence emanating from the Israeli Arab community, while
the legitimate grievances of the Arab sector must be dealt with, and
urgently, by the Israeli government, the resort to violence will only
impede the peaceful and productive coexistence that all people of good will
support.

What can we here do?

   1. Participate in-and volunteer to help organize and publicize-local
      Jewish community rallies demonstrating solidarity with Israel and
      support for the peace process. Many communities will be having public
      events this week-particularly on Thursday October 12th. (See below for
      a preliminary list.) Where support for the peace process is not
      explicitly part of the rally's agenda, we urge you to lobby for it to
      be so, or to speak out yourselves on both aspects of our concern. For
      more information, contact Danielle Hirsch at the RAC (202/387-2800,
      danielle.hirsch@uahc.org) or Ilanit Gerblich at ARZA/WORLD UNION, NA
      (212/650-4280 igerblich@uahc.org) or call your local Federation for
      the time and place of the rally.

   2. In these times of trouble, it is vital that our elected
      representatives know of our deep concern about the violence and our
      firm support for the people and Government of Israel. Please call your
      Members of Congress (they can be reached through the Capitol
      Switchboard, 202/224-3121) and express support for Israel, the Peace
      Process, and the importance of continuing American leadership.

      The legislative situation is fluid, but in addition to general
      expressions of solidarity, please urge your Senators to support
      legislation that would cut off aid to the Palestinian Authority in the
      event of a Unilateral Declaration of Independence ("The Peace and
      Negotiations Act of 2000"). (This legislation [H.R. 5272 and S. 2938]
      has passed the House of Representatives but has not been scheduled for
      floor debate or a vote in the Senate.) In addition, please ask for
      support of resolutions in support of Israel, which are likely to be
      introduced in both the Senate and the House of Representatives in
      these difficult times.

      A sample letter to Members of Congress is available at the Religious
      Action Center's on-line Legislative Action Center (on the RAC web
      page, at http://www.rac.org). Please check the RAC's web page for
      updated legislative information.

   3. Monitor news coverage in your local paper and on your local news. With
      tensions running high and with complicated emotional issues at the
      core of the conflict, news reports can be misleading or even factually
      mistaken. For many, these news reports are the sole basis of their
      understanding of the conflict in Israel. If and when you see reporting
      that is inaccurate or unfair, please notify the news outlet. In
      addition, it's important to be pro-active; letters to the editor and
      "op-ed" columns are excellent outlets for getting our dual message of
      support for Israel and support for the Peace Process out to the
      public.

   4. Consider, if possible, joining the ARZA/WORLD UNION, NA Leadership
      Solidarity Mission leaving for Israel on Saturday, October 21. For
      more information, contact ARZA/WORLD UNION, NA directly at
      212/650-4280.

   5. Call the White House (202/456-1414) and express your appreciation for
      and support of President Clinton's continued strong, personal role in
      the Mid-East peace process. President Clinton canceled travel plans
      this weekend to invest himself fully in diplomatic attempts to quell
      the violence in Israel, and he has repeatedly shown his devotion to
      peace efforts in the region. He offered again this weekend to travel
      to Egypt for a summit meeting aimed at bringing all of the parties
      back together. The President's efforts are invaluable, and it is
      important that the American Jewish community thank him for his work.

ATLANTA: Thursday, October 12, at 5:30 p.m. at Ahavat Achim Synagogue
BOSTON: Wednesday, October 11, at 5:30 p.m. at Kehilat Israel Synagogue
CHICAGO: Thursday, October 12, 12:30 p.m., Hyatt-Regency
CLEVELAND: Thursday, October 12, 7:15 p.m., Jewish Community Center
COLUMBUS: Thursday, October 12, evening, Jewish Community Center
HOUSTON: Thursday, October 12, 11:15 a.m., Jewish Community Center parking
lot
INDIANAPOLIS: Thursday, October 12, 6 p.m. at Congregation Beth El Zedek
LOS ANGELES: Thursday, October 12, 7 p.m. at Milken Campus-Valley Alliance.
NEW YORK CITY: Thursday, October 12, 12:15 p.m. Israeli Consulate at 42nd
St. and 2nd Ave.
NEW HAVEN: Thursday, Oct. 12, 6 p.m. Location to be announced
OMAHA: Thursday, Oct. 12, 11 a.m. Jewish Community Center
PITTSBURGH: Thursday, October 12, 4 p.m. Jewish Community Center
PHOENIX. Thursday, October 12, (Time to be determined) State Capitol
ST. LOUIS, Thursday, October 12, 4:30 p.m. Jewish Community Center

                                    # # #
Emily Grotta
Director of Communications
Union of American Hebrew Congregations