From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal publishers form a relationship

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 12 Oct 2000 11:32:00

http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-152

Episcopal publishers form more collaborative working relationship

by James Solheim

     (ENS) The four primary publishers of the Episcopal Church--
Cowley, Church Publishing, Forward Movement, and LeaderResources-
-have moved into a more collaborative working relationship under
the name Episcopal Publishing Ministries (EPM).

     "What is new for us is that we are cooperating with each
other and with the national staff to develop resources needed by
the Episcopal Church," said Ted Gleason of Forward Movement.
During a series of retreat meetings, representatives of the four
publishers discovered that each brought a distinctive strength in
focus and type of materials offered. And they concluded that, by
joining forces, they would be able to offer a full spectrum of
materials, as well as draw on each other's strengths.

     "Since we had a common ministry within the Episcopal Church,
we could better serve the church by working together," said
Cynthia Shattuck of Cowley Publications. "Each of us has a formal
obligation to uphold the 'doctrine, discipline and worship of the

Episcopal Church' so we are committed to providing the best
resources for the church to live and grow in its life and
ministry," she added.

     Electronic publishing is a new and expanding area of
resource development, participants noted. LeaderResources, for
example, develops and distributes curriculum and training
materials electronically. All of the church's liturgy, hymnody,
and Scripture has been digitized by Church Publishing and is
available electronically--and it has a web site that provides
information on every parish and clergy in the church.

     "We learn from each other in developing these resources,"
said Frank Hemlin of Church Publishing, "and computer technology
helps us to create interrelated resources quickly and easily."

     The new relationship with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America has opened other opportunities for collaboration. "One of
the advantages of our independent but affiliated publishers in
the Episcopal Church is that we can move more quickly in
developing materials while still ensuring that those resources
are a part of the church," said the Rev. Linda Grenz of
LeaderResources.

     The new working relationship with the staff of the Episcopal
Church Center will also enhance resource development, according
to participants. About 30 staff members reviewed the publishing
history and needs of various offices at a September 13 meeting.

     "The founding of EPM is an exciting development in our
relationship with each other and the whole church that we believe
will benefit congregations and dioceses across the church," said
Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold. "We look forward to working
more closely with these Episcopal publishers."

--James Solheim is director of the Episcopal Church's Office of
News and Information.