From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Australian Primate tackles the problem of authority

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 12 Oct 2000 11:32:05

http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-156

Australian Primate tackles the problem of authority in
Anglicanism

by Debra Wagner

     (ENS) The Most Rev. Peter Carnley, primate of the Anglican
Church of Australia, is no stranger to the problem of authority
in Anglicanism.

     So when Archbishop Carnley spoke at the General Theological
Seminary in New York on October 2 about his forthcoming book,
"Progressive Orthodoxy," he went straight to the heart of
controversies in today's Communion.

     "Frankly, the problem for Anglicans at the universal level
is the integration of leadership to achieve coherent thought,"
Carnley said to a crowded room of nearly 100 professors and
students. He was referring to the 1998 Lambeth resolution that
called for restructuring the four instruments of unity for the
Communion into a more integrated system.

     Overwhelmingly passed at Lambeth, it called for the Anglican
Consultative Council (ACC) to become a more representative
Anglican Communion Council that would include a House of
Primates. The Archbishop of Canterbury would remain the
"spiritual leader" and the meeting of all Anglican bishops at
Lambeth every 10 years would be "more connected to the life of
the Communion."

     "We are not just a federation of independent churches. We
call ourselves a 'Communion.' That means we have to struggle to
reach unity of heart and mind," said Carnley.

A matter of discipline

     The integration of the instruments of communion is not the
only problem. The recent consecration of two American bishops in
Singapore to provide oversight for conservative parishes in the
Episcopal Church without the permission of Presiding Bishop Frank
T. Griswold provoked some strong reaction among bishops
throughout the Communion.

     "These so-called renegade bishops have nothing to do with
canonical structures. It is a matter of discipline and those who
consecrated them should be rapped on the knuckles," said Carnley.

     So where can Anglicans find a theology of authority? He
pointed to the long history of Anglican theology that has a
"cautious reticence in the area of doctrine." Anglicans are
"almost stereotypically unable to commit to definitions of
theological points. Instead we are committed to an ultra-orthodox
awareness of God as an infinite mystery and the limits of our
human understanding," explained Carnley.

     This dovetails with the fact that the Anglican Church did
not begin with a confessional statement of faith like the
Protestant denominations. There are no uniquely Anglican points
to defend. "The 39 Articles in the Prayer Book were designed to
include rather than exclude theological expression," he said.

Living with ambiguity

     Therefore, Carnley said, Anglicans are hesitant to
"pontificate. We are content to live with ambiguity as we might
experience God's transcendence in awe and wonder."

     To the archbishop, Anglicans are not big on dogma but excel
in worship. "Our respect for the mystery of God is expressed in
worship rather than definitions or moral directives," he said.
Anchoring theology in the mystery of God means that religious
truth is sufficient for the practical purposes of life but does
not tell us everything."

     The restructuring of the Anglican Consultative Council was
not acted upon at the recent ACC meeting. At the Primates Meeting
this year in Portugal, the primates did not even receive minutes
from the meeting. "The two bodies are quite independent but some
of us are still committed to change," he said.

     According to this archbishop, that change could help solve
the problem of authority in Anglicanism at the worldwide level.

Hobart lecture

     Carnley also addressed the issue of pastoral care at the
inaugural Hobart Lecture, named for the third bishop of New York.
The annual lectures will help priests learn more about caring for
their congregations, said Bishop Richard Grein in his
introduction to the series.

     Nearly a hundred clergy heard Carnley talk about the
"tarnished" image of the pastor in modern society, a society that
creates a hostile environment for clergy. The role of clergy has
been "usurped" by secular professionals, such as counselors,
psychiatrists and even radio talk show hosts.

     "I urge you to keep in mind the biblical image of being a
shepherd to the flock," Carnley said. "Move people from where
they happen to be to where they might become. We need to gather
the people of God together and show them their mutual
interdependence to one another."

     Carnley admitted that, while the image of a shepherd
gathering and protecting the flock has numerous biblical
references, it does not always "fit well with modern thought."
One popular trend, he noted, calls for the pastor to "move the
flock from maintenance to mission."

     He added, "Building and protecting a community is crucial.
It is evangelical. Morally leading the people of God means taking
them all on a spiritual journey to a better place."

--Debra Wagner is editor of the Episcopal New Yorker.