From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

South African Anglican bishops agree to HIV/AIDS testing

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 12 Oct 2000 11:32:29

Title South African Anglican bishops agree to HIV/AIDS testing

http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-151

South African Anglican bishops agree to voluntary HIV/AIDS
testing

by Jan Nunley

     (ENS) Anglican bishops in southern Africa have agreed to
undergo voluntary HIV/AIDS testing and to encourage clergy and
lay leaders of their diocese to be tested with them.

     At a synod meeting held in Bloemfontein, South Africa, the
bishops unanimously resolved to take the test "in the near
future."

     The bishops said the decision was reached in light of the
AIDS pandemic in southern Africa, and with concern that the
church has not been in the forefront of the struggle to fight the
spread of HIV/AIDS. The bishops also expressed determination to
demonstrate the church's solidarity with people infected with and
affected by HIV/AIDS.

     In a statement, South African archbishop Njongonkulu
Ndungane declared that the bishops "believe that history will
measure this country's slow response to the pandemic in human,
not statistical terms, and that the inherent injustices will be
judged as serious a crime against humanity as apartheid.

     "What is becoming increasingly clear is the futility of

looking to government for a solution. At the very least we need to
apply pressure on our political leaders to change this
situation. We need an urgent strategic planning meeting of all
interested parties so as to develop a plan of action and we need
to move fast," he said.

     "It has set the ball rolling in terms of breaking the steel
band of silence which makes so many people feel the need to keep
quiet about being positive," Ndungane said of the testing
decision. "We hope, by setting an example, to encourage others to
be tested. As community leaders we also hope to remove the stigma
attached to HIV/AIDS."

--The Rev. Jan Nunley is deputy director of the Episcopal
Church's Office of News and Information.