From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Churches seeking broader ecumenical forum

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 12 Oct 2000 11:32:33

http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-150

Churches seeking broader ecumenical forum

by James Solheim

     (ENS) Thirty representatives from around the world gathered
in California to "explore the idea of a Global Christian Forum
that would include a wide spectrum of churches and
organizations," according to a September 11 communique.

     The idea of a broad-based forum that goes "beyond the
present ecumenical structures" has emerged recently among those
who are convinced that traditional patterns are too limited, that
more Christians should be welcomed to the table.

     Originally the idea for such a forum was part of
conversations within the World Council of Churches, but the
development of a proposal is now the mandate of an independent
continuation committee.

     The Rev. David Perry, the Episcopal Church's ecumenical
officer, is a member of the committee that includes
representatives from Anglican, Orthodox, Roman Catholic,
Protestant, Pentecostal and Evangelical churches, as well as
others from Christian networks and parachurch organizations. They
also brought to the meeting the realities of regional challenges
from Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, Europe, the Middle East, and
North America. As a result of the broad representation, the hopes
and expectations of traditional churches, as well as independent
or free churches, were openly and frankly discussed, according to
the communique.

A whole new conversation

     Perry said that it was "a very unusual meeting, an
incredible gathering of people, many of whom don't meet in other
settings." Because the conversations were very open and honest,
"our stereotypes were challenged. It was a marvelous opportunity
to relate in some very direct ways, to build trust and to share
common agendas."

     He added, "At the heart of many of our conversations was a
concern for our witness in the world. And the spirit of the
meeting is just what we are looking for as we attempt to bring
more people to the ecumenical table and move together into the
future."

     Perry said that for him, and most of the other participants,
"it was a growing, learning experience--and a very promising sign
that could encourage others to join the conversation."

Contours for the future

     The representatives agreed on some possible contours of a
forum, including attempts to:

* deepen our commitment to God's mission in the world;

*enhance our understanding of contemporary expressions of
Christian mission;

* pursue principles and practices that would enable us to
handle our Christian differences and distinctives creatively and
peaceably;

* strengthen the wholeness of the church by encouraging
communication and cooperation, and foster relationships that
may lead to common witness.

     The communique concluded by noting that "the meeting was
marked by an atmosphere of mutual partnership, trust and
consensus building and was undergirded by warm and deep
fellowship."

--James Solheim is director of the Episcopal Church's Office of
News and Information.