From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

President Clinton and religious leaders push for debt relief

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 12 Oct 2000 11:32:35

http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-143

President Clinton and religious leaders push for debt relief

by James Solheim

     (ENS) Speaking to 120 religious leaders at a White House prayer
breakfast in mid-September, President Bill Clinton thanked the churches
for raising awareness of the struggle to help the world's poorest nations
with debt relief, disease control, and improvements in education--and
he urged them to express their commitment to members of Congress.

     He said that Americans have "a truly unique opportunity and a very
profound responsibility to do something now." In his last address to the
annual gathering, Clinton focused on problems in the developing world.

     "We have reaped great benefits from the information revolution and
the globalization of the economy," he said. "We have responsibilities to
put a human face on the global economy."

     At a July 1999 summit, the Group of Seven leading industrialized
countries agreed to breathe new life into stalled efforts to reduce the debts
of the most heavily indebted countries. Clinton pointed out that 10 nations
had qualified so far for debt relief and he predicted that another 10 would
do so by the end of the year.

     "We've got to make sure the money is there for them," the president said,
 imploring the leaders to do "anything you can do to urge members of both
parties to make this a high priority." He also argued that the United States
should lead the assault on global diseases such as tuberculosis, malaria, and
especially AIDS. Together they are responsible for a quarter of worldwide
deaths each year.

Debt relief concern for Anglicans

     Bishop Tom Shaw of the Diocese of Massachusetts represented Presiding
Bishop Frank T. Griswold at the prayer breakfast and joined a press conference
afterward.

     "Debt relief is an issue of top concern for the Episcopal Church here in the
U.S. and for the worldwide Anglican Communion, which spans 164 countries,"
he said in his statement. He said that "people of faith are looking to our Congress"
in seeking debt relief in this Jubilee Year of 2000. "Congress should not go home
for the year without finishing this vital task for the world's poor," Shaw said.

     Religious leaders should press the U.S. to fund fully its portion of an
international plan for debt relief, Shaw said. "Congress must approve $435
million as our share to launch this agreement to provide debt relief for those poor
nations that are committed to accountability, transparency, and poverty
reduction," he added.

     Shaw argued that it made financial sense to cancel decades-old debt that
can never be repaid. "It makes moral sense for us, in this time of unparalleled
prosperity, to help the poorest people on earth… get a fresh start in the new
millennium. And it makes common sense for the poorest nations to spend their
small budgets, not on interest payments to rich nations, but on critical
investments like education and clean water and AIDS prevention."

     He concluded that it would be "an embarrassment" for the U.S. if it were
not able to contribute its 4 percent to the international relief effort. "And
what a tragedy for millions of people who need our help," he said.

White House hosts power meeting

     Clinton also gathered an interesting cast of leaders October 2 at the White
 House, including U2 rock star Bono, a broad range of church leaders from
mainline denominations but also including the Christian Coalition's Pat Robertson,
as well as a dozen powerful members of Congress who will shape the response
of Congress.

     "Obviously, it is very encouraging to join such an eclectic group behind
one issue--debt relief," said Bishop Arthur Williams of Ohio, vice president
of the House of Bishops. "It does, however, beg the question, 'Why haven't
we reached a deal yet?'"

     Tom Hart, director of the Episcopal Church's Office of Government
Relations, who helped arrange the White House meeting, is optimistic that
Congress will act on Clinton's request for an appropriation of $435 million and
the authority to use International Monetary Fund gold reserves as a contribution
to debt relief.

     "Our churches have been working on this issue for some time and it is very
gratifying to see that it finally has some traction," Hart said. "After three
 years, this issue has assumed some moral urgency for politicians in
Washington."

     Hart pointed out that, even in this most partisan pre-election climate,
participants in the White House meeting represented broad support across
political boundaries. "They all spoke with passion and integrity and expressed deep
commitment to the issue," he said.

--James Solheim is director of the Episcopal Church's Office of News and
Information.