From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Werner hopes to be 'bridge-builder' for deputies

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 12 Oct 2000 11:32:39

http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-157

Werner hopes to be 'bridge-builder' for deputies

     (Episcopal Life) "With all that he's done around Pittsburgh,
it's a wonder the Very Rev. George Werner was able to keep his
day job."

     That was the first sentence of a glowing editorial in the
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette at the time of George Werner's retirement
last December. Werner, 62, elected president of the House of
Deputies at this summer's General Convention, was stepping down
as dean of Trinity Episcopal Cathedral, a post he'd held for 20
years. He was, by that time, perhaps one of the best-known people
in Pittsburgh, credited with a major role in reviving the
downtown of the industrial city at the confluence of the Ohio,
Monongahella, and Allegheny rivers.

     The dismantling of the steel industry had taken a toll on
the community and it benefited from the energy brought by the man
some called "the high priest against pessimism." Werner helped
found and led the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership, the Bethlehem
Haven Shelter for Women, the Dollar Energy Fund, and the
Interfaith Caregivers. He served on the boards of several local
hospitals, chairing key oversight committees.

     Now, many in the Episcopal Church hope the politically
savvy, 30-year veteran of the House of Deputies and its two-term
vice president will turn that same energy to his new post.
Werner, elected on the first ballot, succeeds Pamela Chinnis, who
served since 1991.

     "He will excel in presiding," declares attorney Charles
Crump, the doyen of General Convention, a 15-time deputy from the
Diocese of West Tennessee. "He's crisp and precise, yet not
overbearing. I think he will stack right up there with the top
presiders."

     "George is ... organized, knows his way around … and he's
demonstrated he can preside competently over the house," says
nine-time deputy Marge Christie from the Diocese of Newark. "He
honors and respects the church and will do everything he can to
preserve its tradition, its honor and its integrity."

New coalitions

     Appointments to committees and commissions, a task he will
share with the presiding bishop, is a major part of Werner's new
responsibility and he expects his Pittsburgh experience at
"bridge-building" to serve him in it.

     "I've been involved in bringing strange groups to the table,
very diverse, often enemies ... but we find an area of self-
interest ... and we develop new coalitions," Werner says of his
work. "I want a mix. I want some people who are veterans ... who
know where the minefields are ... know the history," but, he
continues, "I want ... people who can make something happen. ...
I want not a politically correct diversity, I want every voice
that will protect us from omitting something important."

     Some veterans of the House of Deputies look to Werner for
more. "George will excel in maintaining the independence of the
house," says Byron Rushing, eight-time deputy from the Diocese
of Massachusetts, who served with Werner on Chinnis' Council of
Advice.

     Werner says he wants to be a team member with the presiding
bishop. "We have a lot of things where we are really one, in
terms of spirituality, liturgy, a whole bunch of things. I love
his Benedictine abbot approach for many reasons." But, says
Werner, who's led five house committees, served 12 years on
councils of advice, and been his chair of his diocesan deputation
eight times, "the House of Bishops will never understand the
House of Deputies. We need to keep those two things very, very
clear. There are reasons for this.

     "When the House of Bishops issues a 'mind of the house' and
they are talking theology, that is totally appropriate. When they
start saying how they feel on some of the social issues, we are a
bicameral legislature. I will remind them of that. They can't do
it as if they are the final word."

Open and blunt style

     Werner's openness and frequent blunt talk can be both
refreshing and problematic. He's quick to admit, "I have this
problem that St. Peter did: I open my mouth and sometimes I put
my foot in it." He also readily confesses, "Nobody has ever used
the word 'humility' in a paragraph with me."

     Although some deputies have criticized his informality in
presiding and the appearance of disrespect when he addresses male
clergy as "Father" and female clergy by their first names, Werner
says he's making a conscious effort to be more formal.

     Scott Evans, seven-time deputy from the Diocese of North
Carolina, applauds "a great improvement" in the way Werner has
presided. "I think he's quick to make decisions. ... He will need
to listen to voices of experience as he makes decisions."

     "He has a lot of energy," says Bonnie Anderson, five-time
deputy from the Diocese of Michigan, who was chair of the Joint
Standing Committee on Planning, Budget and Finance. "It can be
used to be reactive and it can be used to be enthusiastic."

     Two priests in Werner's diocese, from opposite poles on the
political spectrum, both have high praise for the new president.
The Rev. Harold Lewis, rector of Calvary Episcopal Church in
Pittsburgh and former officer for black ministries at the
Episcopal Church Center, calls Werner's election as head of the
diocese's deputation "a remarkable feat, given that George is a
moderate-liberal churchman in a diocese which has become
increasingly conservative."

     The Rev. Jim Simons, rector of St. Michael's Episcopal Church
in Ligonier, a four-time deputy from Pittsburgh, points
out that Werner "has accomplished the almost impossible task of
rising to his current office while not beholden to any
ideological group. ... He truly wants to see all perspectives
represented in the church."

     The Rev. John Guernsey, secretary of the conservative
American Anglican Council and six-time deputy from the Diocese of
Virginia, endorses that assessment. "I was a leader of the AAC in
the House of Deputies and I would have to say I've experienced
George to be a bridge-builder. He reached out to us and sought to
understand our concerns and priorities."

Focus on community

     As Werner presided or sat second chair at General
Convention, his wife, Audrey, was visible in the rear of the hall
with her needlework. The Werners, who have four grown children,
celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary in June. Together
they've served urban parishes in Bridgeport, Connecticut, and
Manchester, New Hampshire, before the move to Pennsylvania in
1979. They now live in Sewickley, Pennsylvania.

     Now the man who "loves English mysteries," historical
novels, and Henri Nouwen, who says his greatest passion is
"people, I just absolutely love to connect" and who confesses his
primary motivation to be "the fact that you can change things,"
will be leading the House of Deputies for at least the next three
years.

     He says his focus will be on community. "We are committed to
community. You cannot be without community. We are defined by
community...Our job, by Scripture, is to hang in together, learn
from each other, grow from each other...be feisty, be passionate,
do that, but we've got to stay in community."