From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Maine parish symbol of Episcopal-Lutheran cooperation

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 12 Oct 2000 11:32:54

http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-155

Maine parish symbol of Episcopal-Lutheran cooperation

by Heidi Shott

     (ENS) Months before the presiding bishops of the Episcopal
Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA)
exchanged chalices on July 12 in Denver to mark the passage of
"Called to Common Mission," a small search committee at St.
Peter's Church, Bridgton, Maine, was already planning to make
history of its own.

     On Easter, the Rev. David Snyder, an ELCA pastor, celebrated
his first Sunday as the part-time priest of St. Peter's, a small
congregation of 40-some Episcopalians located in the Lakes Region
of western Maine.

     "It's a logical and comfortable step," said Snyder on the
transition to serving an Episcopal congregation. "I've always
been a big fan of the Book of Common Prayer in my personal
devotions and have done work at the College of Preachers in
Washington, D.C." In January 1999, after he finished a two-year
assignment at an ELCA mission church over the border in New
Hampshire, Snyder, his wife Susan and their four children began
attending St. Peter's in Bridgton, where he occasionally preached
during the interim period. "It was a natural choice for us to
start attending St. Peter's," he said.

     Marcia Elliott, senior warden of St. Peter's, explained how
members decided Snyder would be the best leader for them: "A
sense comes over you that you belong together and there are
wonderful things you can do. It is a joyful time at St. Peter's."
While the parishioners knew that the "Called to Common Mission"
agreement was in the offing, they didn't choose Snyder to make
the church history books. Said Beatrice White, a member of the
search committee, "We just think he's a spiritual man who will be
able to lead us well."

Unique and significant

     The leadership of the ELCA New England Synod and the Diocese
of Maine feel the same way. "This is very unique, very
distinctive and very significant. It's cause for rejoicing among
Lutherans, and, I think, among Episcopalians," said the Rev. Ron
Jackson, associate to Bishop Robert Isaksen. "The sun is rising
over Maine."

     Bishop Chilton R. Knudsen of the Episcopal Diocese of Maine
explained, "The agreement will only have any meaning when it's
lived in flesh and blood at the local level, where the people of
God have the opportunity to live in the agreement. I rejoice and
give thanks that the Holy Spirit seems to have chosen this corner
of the world." She added, "I'm not surprised that it's happening
here because we do things the way we think they ought to be done.
It's part of our Yankee fair-mindedness." Knudsen said that she
looks forward to exploring the possibilities of the agreement with
the New England Synod's bishop-elect, Margaret Payson, was
installed on September 17, in Worcester, Massachusetts.

     That Snyder is the first Lutheran pastor to be called to an
Episcopal church since CCM was approved at General Convention
doesn't surprise him either. "An important theme to my ministry
has been trying to dismantle artificial barriers that keep people
apart," he said. That theme plays out in the rest of his career
as well: Snyder serves as the executive director of the Portland
Chapter of Habitat for Humanity, where bringing people of
different faiths together is part of the job. Prior to moving to
Fryeburg, Maine, Snyder was the senior pastor of Holy Trinity
Lutheran in Newington, New Hampshire, for eight years.

Subtle differences

     Knudsen presided at a Celebration of New Ministry for St.
Peter's and Snyder on August 25 at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic
Church, across from the Bridgton United Methodist Church where
St. Peter's usually meets. More than 170 people from as far away
as Germany and from seven denominations broke into spontaneous
applause when Knudsen presented Snyder to the congregation. "That
I am a Lutheran, educated at a Baptist seminary, ministering to
an Episcopal congregation that meets in a Methodist church, and
that we are celebrating that ministry in a Catholic church is,
well, really exciting," Snyder said.

     While Snyder is the first Lutheran pastor to serve an
Episcopal congregation in Maine, the Rev. James Morgan, an
Episcopal priest and retired military chaplain, has served
Trinity Lutheran Church in the northern Maine town of Stockholm
for four years. He serves there under an interim Eucharistic 1982
agreement that allows for clergy-sharing in rural areas.

     Other situations in which Lutherans and Episcopalians share
clergy and congregations exist in Michigan and Kentucky as well.

     Since Easter, Snyder and the people of St. Peter's have been
living with the subtle differences between Episcopal and Lutheran
style and practice. At first they didn't know what to call him,
since Lutheran ministers are known as pastors. Finally, they
settled on 'Father Dave.' "I said, 'I'm a father, so I'd feel
very comfortable if you call me that,'" Snyder said. Another
parishioner recently approached him to remind him gently that,
"we like to use the words in the book."

     Snyder came to Maine at age 12 when his father entered
Bangor Theological Seminar. The Rev. Richard Snyder is now a
retired United Church of Christ minister. Though Snyder
eventually left Maine as a young adult, he said, "I've been
coming back to Maine ever since. Being here at St. Peter's,
Bridgton, is a joy. This congregation is a welcoming community
that has great potential for expanding its ministry. It will be a
challenge, but they are up for it and I am too. What we share in
common is so much more important than the differences."

--Heidi Shott is communications officer in the Diocese of Maine
and editor of the diocesan newspaper, The Northeast.