From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Anglicans in Canada asked to lobby government

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 12 Oct 2000 11:33:33

http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-146

Anglicans in Canada asked to lobby government for relief on
lawsuits

by James Solheim

     (ENS) In the wake of spiraling court cases alleging abuse of
youth in residential schools, Canada's Justice Department is
"literally driving our church towards bankruptcy," charged the
Anglican Church's General Secretary, Jim Boyles, in a blunt
letter sent to all church members.

     "Today the problems arising out of the residential schools
endanger the national and international ministry of our church,
not primarily because of the people who suffered abuse and are
seeking fair compensation, but because of legal actions launched
by Canada's Department of Justice and because, so far, our
government has chosen to respond to this national crisis only
through the courts and similar legal processes," Boyles
explained. "Unless serious change occurs quickly, General Synod
faces the possibility of bankruptcy in the very near future."

     The Anglican Church of Canada helped the government
administer the schools "because our church forebears believed,
some 100 years ago, that this was a good and honorable cause,
helping to provide education for indigenous persons," Boyles
wrote. "But by 1969, when our involvement with the schools ended,
we had come to realize there were very serious failings in the
whole residential schools approach."

     As a result, the church established "a new relationship with
indigenous peoples, based on partnership and respect."

     The church assisted in operating 26 of more than 80 schools
and is now involved with about 1,600 lawsuits, in many cases only
because the Justice Department has added the church as a third
party.

     The financial ruin of the church won't "provide just
compensation and healing for victims." Rather, "the government
lawsuits are bleeding us dry--and costing enormous amounts of our

tax dollars--to the benefit of no one," Boyles argued. "We
believe these actions by the Justice Department are ill-advised,
unfair and just plain wrong."

     Boyles urged church members to contact their political
representatives and urge a change in government policies. "If we
act together now," he said, "there is still time to make a
difference."

Time running out for dioceses

     Unfortunately, several dioceses most directly involved in
the lawsuits are facing imminent bankruptcy. "The Diocese of
Cariboo in British Columbia has exhausted its resources and is in
a desperate state," Boyles said. "The ministry of the Diocese of
Qu'Appelle [in Saskatchewan] is also threatened for the same
reason."

     Archbishop Michael Peers, in a September 24 sermon in
Toronto, said that the church was "revisiting the social policy
of our past in relation to aboriginal people because in it was
the soil of so much of today's pain and suffering. But it can
also become the soil, the earth, of a new relationship. Exposing
and admitting wounds," he said, "makes healing possible." Peers
apologized to "those whose lives had been wounded in the schools"
at a gathering of aboriginal Anglicans in 1993.

     Peers said that the relationship with aboriginal peoples
"could be the dominant issue of the next decade." He added, "We
need to be alert to anything within our own souls and within the
soul of the nation that indicates weariness with the doing of
justice, or reveals a potential for prejudice and racism."

     Addressing the letter-writing campaign, Peers said, "Our
quarrel is not with just claims of aboriginal persons; it is with
a government that continues to stall in its responsibility to
deal with fundamental matters of justice."

     Peers quoted Ethel Ahenakew, a Cree leader from
Saskatchewan, who told him and the wider church that "you are the
instrument God has chosen to orchestrate the church to start
over, after admitting the wrongs your ancestors have committed.
We can now start building bridges so that white and aboriginal
people can come together and become strong as a church--a church
where you have laid a strong foundation with your apology."

--James Solheim is director of the Episcopal Church's Office of
News and Information.