From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC board hears "Brief" on finances, reorganization

From PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org
Date 17 Oct 2000 08:34:43

Note #6219 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

17-October-2000
00358

NCC board hears "Brief" on finances, reorganization

Moves plans ahead for anti-poverty program, expanding ecumenical vision

by Carol Fouke
NCC News and Information Office

NEW YORK CITY -- Celebration of "remarkable" achievements in financial and
organizational management along with work to advance planning for two major
new program initiatives marked the Oct. 2-3 meeting of the National Council
of Churches' Executive Board.

	While the Board necessarily spent significant time on matters related to
the Council's financial health, that work was carried out in a
forward-looking context of attention to ecumenical witness in the 21st
century.

	"None of us is here simply to ‘fine tune' the National Council of
Churches," said the Rev. Bob Edgar, NCC General Secretary.  "We are here to
be part of the ecumenical commitment, called by Christ to be one and to
invest in those areas where we have a common purpose."

	Of top priority are a projected 10-year "Mobilization to Overcome Poverty"
and exploration of an expanded "ecumenical vision" that could bring Roman
Catholics, evangelicals, Pentecostals, mainline Protestants, Orthodox,
historic African American and other churches into closer relationship.

	The NCC Executive Board refined and "pilot tested" plans for bringing those
two major new initiatives to the Council's Nov. 14-17 annual General
Assembly in Atlanta.

	The first updates churches' ages-old commitment to ending poverty and seeks
specific goals against which to measure achievements of the decade-long
effort.

	The second anticipates a "fully collaborative meeting" in 2001 that would
bring together leaders of major U.S. Christian "families" to begin "a
process of discernment to ascertain what new national expression of
Christian life, faith and action the Holy Spirit may enable us to bring into
being in which we may be and act together."

	Edgar reflected appreciatively on the Executive Board's careful
consideration of both the substance of the two initiatives and the process
for moving them forward.  "The Board is building ownership of these
initiatives, which represent a sharpening of the Council's vision and
mission," he said, adding, "I sense a new level of excitement among our
member communions that wasn't there a year ago."

	                    "State of the NCC"

	Launching of both initiatives is contingent on securing the necessary
funding.  Over the past several years, the NCC has "spent down" most of its
financial reserves in order to balance over-spent program budgets and to
cover extraordinary expenses related to retooling of the Council's
administrative and financial management systems.

	"Over the past 11 months, with your help, we've done an incredible job of
bringing order to the NCC's finances," Edgar told the Board.

	While the audit for January-June 2000 is not yet completed, all indications
are that the NCC has brought current operating expenditures into line with
current income for the first time in years, reported Barbara Ellen Black,
the NCC's General Manager.

	In fact, a small operating surplus appears likely both for that six-month
period and for July-December 2000, she said.  "The financial hemorrhaging
that was occurring has been stopped," affirmed Edgar.  "We know what our
current revenue is going to be and we are committed to living within in it."

	Alluding to the frequent representation of the ecumenical movement as a
ship, the Rev. Philip Young, a Presbyterian from San Rafael, Calif., and the
NCC's Treasurer, put it this way, "We are in the process of bringing some
‘nautical reality' to the NCC.  We are trimming the sails, clearing the
decks, scraping barnacles and finding ways to get to where you want us to
go.  As we journey through very difficult times, we promise not just
balanced budgets but also a seaworthy ship to take us to where you want us
to go."

	The NCC is committed to protecting -- indeed, rebuilding -- its reserves,
which currently total about $3 million.  "We aren't touching the principal,"
Edgar confirmed.

	The Executive Board literally applauded the news and expressed its
appreciation for the difficult steps that have been taken over the past 11
months.  These have included reductions in staff, reshaping of program and
service budgets in accordance with available resources and changing needs,
implementation of stringent financial controls and accountabilities, and
achievement of numerous economies.

	"The news that we balanced the first half of 2000 is remarkable," commented
the Rev. Richard L. Hamm, General Minister and President of the Christian
Church (Disciples of Christ), based in Indianapolis.

	Said the Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick, Stated Clerk of the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.), "This is the most encouraging and hopeful financial report we've
heard, and also the most painful.  We are extraordinarily grateful for your
achievements on the formidable task of bringing us into balance.  Very
difficult and painful decisions have had to be made."

	Complicating -- but also clarifying -- the task has been concurrent work to
separate the financial management for Church World Service and Witness from
that for the rest of the Council. Previously, one office was charged with
providing those services for the whole of the Council.

	More hard work lies ahead.  The NCC exclusive of Church World Service
expects to end 2000 with a very small cash balance -- something like
$137,000, Black said.  And current projected income and expenses are $1.7
million out of balance for the first six months of 2001.

	Black promised to bring a balanced budget to the Executive Board when it
next meets, in conjunction with the NCC's General Assembly in November.

	"We're at a critical time," affirmed Bishop Melvin Talbert of Nashville,
Tenn., ecumenical officer for the United Methodist Church's Council of
Bishops.  "We have hard decisions to make about our future.  As you struggle
to do that during these next few weeks, know that we want you to help us
live within our means.  Lead us!  How do we use our resources in the best
interest of us all?"

	Edgar challenged all the NCC's 35 member communions to commit their support
to the level of their ability. "These are not easy days," he said.  "Your
participation keeps us moving in the right direction."